Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying A New Computer With Xp Re Installed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 binga

binga

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Hello all

I was thinking of replacing my old PC with a new one. Some shops have desktops with xp pro pre installed. Considering that xp will no longer be available soon and that security updates will end in April 2009, will having xp on a new computer be a noose around my neck or should I bite the bullet and get one with Vista (a leap I have yet to take considering the stories I hear)

Look forward to your thoughts

Binga

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

I'm in the process of building one now for Vista. The release of Vista and lack of communication between MS and hardware vendors is what caused all of the headaches and horror stories. People complained when they switched from 98 to XP and now they're complaining again. There's a learning curve to everything new
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

Very true. I bought my computer last year with xp pro, but when I was having issues with it they gave me vista business on hp support's dime. If you can get the same deal I'd say to go for the xp one with the option of upgrading for free. Well, it wasn't totally free as I had to pay for the upgraded support plan.

#4 binga

binga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll probably look at buying a pc with xp installed and look for getting an option to update to Vista. I remember when xp came out and the advice was keep windows 98!!!!!!!!! So as you say tecnology keeps on improving so I guess in another 12 months Vista should be much better, we hope.

Thanks

Binga :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users