Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberman

Cyberman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

I tried to fix a friend's computer which was infected with many viruses. It is a desktop compac computer with Windows XP SP 2. I discovered the following features and programs were disabled: folder options, regedit, and task manager. The situation was so hopeless that I've decided that the best option was to format the computer and install windows and other essential programs. I tried to do a bit of fixing and cleaning by usind hiren's boot CD, but I douldn't make it boot because the keyboard didn't repond. When I rebooted, the screen gave me two options: (1) boot from Hard Desk or (2) boot from the Cd, and promted me to enter 1 or 2, but when I hit 2 nothing happens. The computer just booted regulary from the hard desk. I tried to go the setup (bios) by hitting F2 as shown on the boot screen, but nothing happens. Instead the computer booted regularly from the hard drive. I also couldn't make it boot in safe mode because again the keyboard didn't respond to hitting the required F key. As a last resort I tried to boot from Windows XP CD, but again I couldn't boot from the CD because the keyboard didn't respond. By the way the keyboaed responds normally when I do word processing. It is PS/2 Keyboard, not a USP one.

I've tried googling around for an understanding or a solution. So far I couldn't find any. I also read this post in one of our forums: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/118993/keyboard-not-responding-can-not-enter-safe-mode/ but it didn't help.

Can Viruses do all that kinds of damaged? Can they destroy the bios? I really don't know what to do with this problem? I appreciate it greatly if any one can make sense out of this crazy problem and suggest some solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

Have you tried a different keyboard?

Have you looked in the Device Manager under Keyboards?

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager. Click on the + in the box next to Keyboards to expand the tree and look of a red X or a yellow dot with an exclamation mark in it.

Have you check in the BIOS to see what the keyboard setting are set to?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

Is you're keyboard usb? If so what is happening is that the BIOS dosn't have any usb drivers so your keyboard doesn't work until you get into windows. I have the same problem and have to leave a PS/2 keyboard beside my regular keyboard just to select linux or windows in the boot menu.

Anyways a quick way to fix you're problem, find a PS/2 keyboard (The older keyboards are often like this, they have a round connector with a bunch of pins in it instead of the rectangle connector).

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

#4 Cyberman

Cyberman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hi guys,
Sorry for the delay to respond. I've been busy with my work.
As I said the keyboard is a ps2 not a usp. I tried another ps2 keyboard with no luck. There is no yellow question mark on the list of device manager. doc3, you suggested I should go to bios to check the setting for the keyboard. As I said in my original post I cannot get to the bios in the first place because the keyboard is not responding. So I am in a vicious circle.
One suggestion I haven't tried to remove motherboard battery and play around with on board jumpers to reset the bios to their original setting. I am really scared to do that because I've never done it and I don't know how to play around with jumpers. Any suggestion on how to do that especially how to play around with jumpers?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

It's an either/or...you either remove the CMOS battery...or...you reset the CMOS jumper on the motherboard. Same effect.

What model Compaq is the system?

Is an owner's manual or motherboard manual available? Looking at either should show the exact location of the CMOS jumper, which is only 3 pins with a jumper over two of them (pins 2, 3). To short it, (after turning off the system), you simply move the jumper from the 2,3 pins to the 1,2 pins.

[post="http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/207507-28-help-reset-bios"]How To Short CMOS Jumper[/post]

Louis

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

shot in the dark here but is the keyboard just not responding in BIOS/boot up? and did you check for broken pins/dirt in the PS2 port?If it just plain out doesn't work then i'd try a USB keyboard if you happen to have one laying around. If it works once you get into the OS then disregard this post.

Edited by smurfgod, 06 May 2008 - 06:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users