Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Needed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

On various website pages at the top of the page a bar pops up with the following information:

"This website wants to run the following add-on: MSXML 3.0, SP9 from MicroSoft Corp. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here..."

What is MSXML 3.0, SP9? Is it needed? If so why do I need it now? If not, how do I stop this irritating prompt?

My thanks for any information you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

MSXML allows you to open XML documents. It's safe to download and once you install it you shouldn't get the popup anymore.

Source:
Microsoft XML

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hi, and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

MSXML = Microsoft XML parser.
3.0 = Version 3.0
SP9 = Service Pack 9
Basically this allows your applications to work with XML documents/services.
usually once you install it, the popup should be gone. Like what JSteele said it is safe to download. Here is some additional information http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269238
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Thank you, JSteele and extremeboy for the information.

Please, does one have to have XML documents/services? Why this sudden "pressure" that I install this application?

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

Hi,
XML is extensible markup language, MSXML can read & manipulate data from those files. You don't HAVE to install this application. We are just saying that this file is not harmful and that you can install it without fear.
Hope that clears it up

regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 30 April 2008 - 03:51 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

Yes, thank you again, extremeboy. I did realise this ; just wondered why I had started getting this prompt!!

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hi,
Ok so is there any more pormblems or questions?
PLease feel free to ask :thumbsup:

#8 misterc12

misterc12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

Can I get rid of this message without downloading the MSXML 3.0 SP9 software?

Thank you

misterc12 (a new member)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users