Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Considering Getting A New Computer...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

Hey all,

My computer has been driving me nuts lately. I feel like I've been getting more fixes on it than actual virtual enjoyment out of the thing. <_< I want to know what are some great quality parts for hardcore mmo gamers like myself. :thumbup2:

I only play one MMO right now, so it needs to run like a beauty on it. The game is Lineage 2. It's fairly old mmo, but the game tends to be picky about what graphic cards it can run on. I'm a loyal GeForce customer, so I'm preferring it to be a GeForce card. The question is, which one? Here's the ones I know its compatible with: http://www.plaync.com/us/support/doc_1017.html?prod=10

I am also rather interested about what sort of PSU and cooling system I should invest in. My current computer's cooling system is fan-based, and I'm honestly not that pleased with it. Is liquid cooling as good as everyone says it is? Or should I just stick to a computer with some more fans to keep it cold?

I've heard some different opinions on Duo and Quad Core computers. Is it true that certain types of Duo are actually equal if not better than Quad Core?

Looking forward to hearing your replies :)

- TTC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

The best graphics card for the money right now is probably the 512mb 8800GT. They are just around 200$, some less, and they are great performers! If your only playing lineage 2 though, it would probably be overkill. Then again, if you are looking at some newer games, it would probably be your best bet. You could also take a look at the 9600GT, which are around $150. They are pretty nice cards too. Probably the next best thing before the 8800GT. I'm sure most any graphics card you can buy now will work with the game. The cards they have under not supported are all really old. Most of the companies don't even exist or make graphics cards anymore.

Make sure to get a good quality, name brand psu. I don't know if liquid cooling uses a lot of power (I assume it does) but if not, a good 450-600Watt power supply should do you fine. I wouldn't pay less then maybe 60$ for one, unless of course its on sale.

I don't think liquid cooling is necessary for most people, unless they are doing some extreme overclocking including high voltage increases and frequencies. If you have proper fan cooling you should be fine.

Now for the processors! Playing an older game like Lineage 2, a higher end core 2 duo will beat out a lower end quad . By higher end core 2 duo though, it is most likely still cheaper then the quad core. The thing is newer games and programs are being able to utilize more cores by letting 2 or all the cores work on one process. Currently a lot of programs and games can only be processed by one core. So if you have an E8400 (3.0ghz, 6mb L2 cache, 1333mhz fsb, and 45nm) that costs 200$, it will be faster on programs and games that can only utilize one core, then a Q6600 (2.4ghz, 2x4mb L2 cache, 1066mhz fsb, 65nm<- less is better) that costs 220$. Then again if you have a bunch of applications running at one time, a quad-core might be better. I think overall a quad-core is more future proof.

Well hopefully I didn't confuse you too much!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

I don't know much about parts.. @_@ And I'm not too confused (I think? xD haha) Could you give me some examples of good name brand PSUs?

I don't plan to overclock. That's a definite. So I guess I'll just stick to normal fan cooling...I wish I could find out which cooling parts are the best though. My current PC's cooling system has been driving me nuts! xD I'd rather not have a cooling system like that one ever again!!!

Well, my current computer is a Dual-core 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 processor. It usually runs great with multiple programs open. I think I'll do good with a duo. Are there any processor kinds you recommend? (I heard Intel is good, but there's apparently better ones out there?) What about motherboards?

I am thinking of running Windows XP Pro OS on it (cuz Vista = evil.) , but I'll need to get a Windows XP Pro disc for it. I heard a rumor recently that Windows is going to be discontinuing selling those soon...Is it true? D: I'm really really REALLY hoping it isn't...Since well, Vista sucks. Tried it before on my laptop pc, and even though it didn't give me many problems I've heard of it being really nasty with other people sometimes. ):

Edited by TTC, 29 April 2008 - 04:50 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:14 PM

I've heard many good things about Corsair and Silverstone PSU's. I have a Corsair in my PC and it runs perfectly. As for CPU cooling, I've heard great things about the Arctic Cooling Freezer line of products. They are efficient and reasonably quiet. Just don't expect it to be silent when you're pushing the PC to it's limits! Intel is beating AMD in the processor market...for now. Any of Intel's 45nm chips are great, they tend to run cooler. 45 nm dual core chips include the E8500, E8300, E8400, and E8200. Microsoft will be discontinuing XP in the next couple of months, get a disc while you still can. Keep in mind that Vista is better able to use multiple CPU cores and memory than Windows XP. Since SP1 came out, Vista has been better to work with.

3939.png

#5 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

Corsair huh? I'll write that PSU name down. :thumbsup:

I like it when cooling is relatively not noisy, but efficient enough to make my computer mostly cool whenever I'm using it. It sounds like from what you're saying, the Artic Cooling Freezer cooling systems might be just right for me. One question though: how noisy can they get? I'm looking for efficiency with a cooling system, but it also has to be reasonably quiet. (I don't want to annoy my neighbors with my computer's cooling noises...xD )

Eek! It will be discontinuing Windows XP!? D: That's horrible! What a stupid decision. >_< I'll make sure to get a Windows XP installation set as soon as possible. Thank you for telling me! As for Vista, its better with cores? That's neat...But I've heard it sometimes has problems running the game I want to play, Lineage 2. To avoid those technical issues, I think I'll be sticking with a Windows XP OS.

/edit: Also what brand of hard drives should I be looking into?

Edited by TTC, 29 April 2008 - 05:43 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

I have the Arctic Freezer for an AMD processor, I've ran several modern games (Hellgate London, Oblivion, The Witcher) on it and can barely detect any change in the fan speed. It's quiet, especially if your motherboard supports smart fan technology. Lineage II should work fine with Vista. I have a friend who has it and Vista, he said that you need to run the game as an administrator to get it to run normally. Actually, I have a different opinion on Vista. I think that MS should just get rid of XP ASAP and iron out the issues instead of catering to XP users. I'm running the supposedly problematic 64-bit edition of Vista and I have had very few issues surrounding the OS. As for hard drives, I suggest either Seagate or Western Digital hard drives. Both have high quality. You should check the warranty on the drives prior to purchase to see which one is better. As for motherboards, Asus and eVGA both make good ones, you should check review sites to see how they hold up. Also, these two companies make excellent graphics cards. Graphics cards these days can be tricky. The 8800GT is overkill for Lineage, but they're an amazing value for the performance you get. Two 8800GT cards in SLI hsve the same performance as nVidia's top-of-the-line graphics card. I'm in the market for a new PC as well, I've been considering the eVGA 780i SLI motherboard. I could get a 790, but I'm not willing to pay tons of money to use DDR3 memory.

Link: [H] Enthusiast - EVGA 780i SLI Review
Link: [H] Enthusiast - Corsair HX620 620W Power Supply Review
Link: [H] Enthusiast GeForce 8800 GT Review (This review is a little old)

I like [H]ardOCP's testing methodology, that's why I suggest using them.

3939.png

#7 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

Ah really? It's cool to hear that Lineage 2 will work fine with it. (Many thanks to your friend! Tell em' I said hi & thanks :D )

Lol! Yeah perhaps...No doubt they'll be catering to that soon enough, if they're going to stop selling Windows XP discs soon....I mean, where there's no money, there's no profit..And where there's no profit, there's less time invested into maintaining the XP products with updates and whatnot...Right? Or are they still going to be providing updates and whatnot to people with XP as well?

I know 8800 GT atm is overkill...But I have a friend with it and he says the quality is really nice. :thumbsup: I always have to run L2 on low quality atm in windows mode just so I can play as two characters at one time. )x Low quality isn't a big deal, but I wouldn't mind seeing some higher quality graphics when I'm playing. I've heard great things about the 8800 GT from a irl friend as well. :huh:

Thanks for all those links! :huh: I'll be sure to read them all once my college finals are done. (Ewww...I have my first one tomorrow. Pray for me? lol. )
--

On another note, does anyone have an opinion on the Abit AN-M2 nView AM2 NF630a mATX motherboard? I was given a site by a friend that has a lot of good customizing options with their PCs, and this is their only option for a motherboard. If it isn't good, I think I'll be looking into one of the motherboards DJBPace07 suggested. B)

edit: Oh, and what's DDR2 memory? I'm sorry. I must sound like such a noob! xD

Edited by TTC, 29 April 2008 - 06:51 PM.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

The Abit AN-M2 motherboard uses AMD processors and is designed for digital home PC's where gaming is not a factor. That motherboard features an on-board GeForce 7 graphics card, which is pointless since you're considering purchasing a more powerful GeForce 8 series card. The motherboard does let you add up to 8GB of RAM which is a nice feature. Since you don't want Vista, let alone the 64-bit edition capable of using all that memory, and XP 64-bit sucks, the additional memory capacity is meaningless...for now. Before selecting your motherboard, you may want to first choose a processor since motherboards designed for AMD processors won't work with Intel processors and vice versa. The 8800GT is a great video card, the only issue with it is that it runs extremely hot. For a little more, I would get the 8800GTS. It's pretty much identical, but it offers better cooling. DDR2 is a type of memory used with RAM. It's pretty much the standard when it comes to memory. It is being replaced with DDR3 memory, but DDR3 memory is very expensive.

Link: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 512-MB Product Page

BTW, good luck with your finals. I have mine next week.

3939.png

#9 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

Oh I see. The reason why I ask is that there is a computer I can get from a company online that can customize a computer for me, and it has only that motherboard available in a certain "computer gamer" package.

Configure Your Edge M10 Velocity Micro

With this customize set up, I can get a lot of the reccomended brand parts that have been mentioned in this thread. I was considering getting that PC, with the following customized alterations:

Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink, Ultra Quiet Fan, Copper Heat Pipes
4069 MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 Low Latency Extreme Memory with Heat Spreader
512MB EVGA GeForce 8800 GT DDR3 PCI-E w/HDCP

I was also considering customizing it with video cooling...Because I would want to make sure that thing would stay very cold. @w@

Question: Does this PC with the following customized options seem like a good buy?

Edited by TTC, 04 May 2008 - 11:00 AM.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

I have a Velocity Micro. It's a very good PC. Unfortunately, ever since they merged with Overdrive PC and started selling their PC's at Best Buy, their quality has lowered significantly. Once the company irons out their issues, I'd recommend them. My new PC is coming from Maingear. They almost always get excellent reviews. They also use eVGA parts exclusively, or at least with the F131 I'm getting. Their Dash and Prelude series of PC's would be good for you. As for the customizations with the VM, the Arctic Cooling Freezer is very good. The RAM might be an issue, you will not be able to use all 4GB of RAM without a 64-bit OS, the most you will use is about 3 to 3.5GB. All the Velocity Micro video cooling is nothing more than a fan. Getting a video card that has a two slotted heatsink and fan will give you the same results. There are some 8800GT dual-slotted cards available, but the 8800GTS 512 is pretty much a GT with a better cooler.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users