Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mkb

mkb

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

I think my son has this same issue. But he can't connect to the internet to get the link. Safe mode does not work and we cannot restore back to yestersday when this problem was not present.
Any suggestions on how to find and destroy this one when we have no connection?

We did check programs and do not see any that were listed on this site to remove. What else and where else do we look?

{Mod Edit: SPlit post into own ,New Topic. Created a Title,PM ~~Boopme}

Edited by boopme, 29 April 2008 - 02:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

You will need to get to another PC. Is this an XP ,PC? Also what Antivirus is already installed? To proceed this info s needed.

Edited by boopme, 29 April 2008 - 02:52 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mkb

mkb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

I have access to another PC. The one not working is a Dell, insprion 6400 laptop. about 2 years old. It has Norton Antivirus and Ad aware.
can I put something on a disk and tranfer to the desktop to run? Even safe mode is not working correctly and I can't restore back.

Edited by mkb, 30 April 2008 - 02:51 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

Is It An Xp PC or another????
OK from the other PC try do download onto a CD or disk these. INstall and run the SuperAntispyware(Home USER) and MalWare bytes on the infected PC and post back the logs please. Also Download and install DSS/HiJackThis as we may wind up having to use that. Install but do not run DSS yet.

SUPERAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-...4-10804572.html

Deckard's System Scanner Download Link/ HiJackThis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/click.php?...Deckard/dss.exe

Instructions`for DSS/HJT

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Edited by boopme, 30 April 2008 - 03:06 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

you have to copy these over to the install folder

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

the new rule definition for MBAM, just click on it to update MBAM
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 mkb

mkb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

Sorry, it is an XP.
I will try to get these on a CD and follow the process. I am not very PC savy but how much worse can it get?
Do I follow both post directions here or one? ??

Did I mention I was not savy?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

the links I gave were just to add to the ones boopme furnished

you would have to install both programs and then use the files I linked to to update the programs so they could do a better job of finding and removing infections

I would also add another program which is ATF cleaner

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

you could always do a trial run on the dell installing both programs, SAS and MBAM, they are safe and I use them on my own computer as regular maintenance

Edited by DaChew, 30 April 2008 - 07:02 PM.

Chewy

#8 mkb

mkb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

I have the PC here right now but cannot get it load the links anywhere since the driver will not launch. Safe mode does not allow me to go to my ccmputer, task manager, connect to the internet or really do anything. I keep getting messages on the right side telling me I have spyware and should run a full scan. A large red window open up tell me to visit windows security site for antspyware protection. I have to reboot over and over as I freze up.
Does anyone have any options for me to try?

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

You are going to have to work offline on that computer, this is an advanced skill and involves booting to a cd and using tools to try to fix it. I myself have never had to do it as I would rather run windows as a repair disk then use what tools i could from safe mode until I got a normal mode boot working well enough to install scanning/fix programs.

Most just throw in the towel and reload windows
Chewy

#10 mkb

mkb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

say it isn't so. Are you telling me to give up?

I don't have the windows disk for this Dell. Am I just out of luck and down 800$??

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

Dell has always had an option to restore to factory settings, usually from a boot command or a restore disk, that you were instructed to burn possibly? Is that xp media center? Even without the cd or a boot command Dell will send you the disks for a small fee.

No matter what you decide to do I would order the disks, that's an essential part of safeguarding your investment.
Chewy

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

These are my last hopes,but I feel getting the disks and a full format are still the best thing with such a serious infection.

What happens when you try to connect ? Any messages or ???
The DSS/HiJack wouldn't work ,what did that do?

Other than from dell ,which probably would be best. Here are some alternatives for setup disks.
How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System

create a Bootable CD:
Bart's way to create bootable CD-Roms

Ultimate Boot CD

You can try doing a "Repair Install with Recovery Console". The Recovery Console is a Windows utility that provides a DOS-like command line from which you can run some repair programs. If you have a Microsoft Windows CD-ROM, you can get to the Recovery Console by booting from that CD and pressing any key when you told to 'Press any key to boot from CD'. At the 'Welcome to Setup' screen, press r for Repair.

If you don't have your XP CD you can download an ISO of the Recovery Console files:
NTFS4FreeDos ISO
Recovery Console ISO file
XP Recovery Console zip file..

Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and fixing purposes. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO.
Coutesy Quietman7
Note: You should know that some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over, reformatting the drive and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action.

Edited by boopme, 02 May 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#13 mkb

mkb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the help, but I gave up and took the laptop somewhere to be fixed. There was some kind of root virus in there and the entire hard drive was gone. They can fix it and will install a firewall and CA security on it. I guess I was lucky in that it only cost 200$.
The one question they could not answer was how it got there. My son uses something called Ruckus (??) to download music. He says everyone on campus uses it. Could this have been the culprit?
Will a firewall stop anything further if he uses this again?
It is hards to protect ourselves from something that is not known.

Thanks again.
mkb

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

your son was probably using limewire and/or P2P filesharing and clicked on an malware infector, with his help it will go right by any firewall and AV and install the rootkits and backdoor trojans

the most important part of any security defense system is sitting in the computer chair, maybe if he had to pay the bill he would take this a little more seriously

rant and lecture mode off
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users