Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Config

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kristopher McDougall

Kristopher McDougall

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hey all ... just a little problem I am having that I thought you could help me with. I have a desktop machine with Windows XP Pro installed. I am currently working with local accounts on the computer, no AD accounts. What I want to do is for all my current and new users that will logon to the computer to have the shortcuts for IE, Media Player, and Remote Assistance be moved to the accessories group on the start menu. Is there a way to set this up in the default profile and just point all existing/new users to use that start menu?

Thanks!
KM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

Kristopher,

If you right click on your start button you will see a list of options. The two you are looking for is "Explore" and "Explore All Users". "Explore" will change the the shortcuts/folders for the user account you are logged-on with currently. "Explore All Users" will change the shortcuts/folders for all user accounts on the system. You can try to move those three shortcuts to the Accessories folder using "Explore All Users" (you will probably need to open both "Explore" and "Explore All Users" at the same time) but I beleive this will just create a second shortcut in Accessories for all the local users because IE and Media Player by default are created individually for each user.

#3 Kristopher McDougall

Kristopher McDougall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

I have done this for the administrator, default user and the all users profiles and all is good until a new user logs on to the computer. Then windows goes through its 'setting up personalized settings' for I think IE, and outlook expresss and of course that start menu and it just adds those shortcuts all over again.

Would there be any way to make a script to just check on logon to see if those files are there and if so move them?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

You can put whatever you want in the accessories folder in All Users.
Open up Start Menu folder for All Users.
Then click on Start Menu, find the icon you want, drag and drop into the Accessories folder.
Whatever is in that folder will show up in every users Accessories folders on the start menu.

If you want to remove IE, Outlook Express, etc, from the start menu you'll have to go each users documents and settings and open the Start Menu Folder. Delete the icons from there.
For other programs on the start menu, you'll have to delete them one-by-one from the start menu.

When you say new user, I take that to mean a new user account. By default, IE, Outlook Express, and other programs will appear the first time that desktop is logged onto.
Which means you'll have to go through the drill I mentioned above.

I hope I've understood what it is you are wanting to do. If not, let me know.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 April 2008 - 06:27 PM.

#5 Kristopher McDougall

Kristopher McDougall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:50 PM

ok so after many hours on google i have found a solution ... i guess you have to create your profile just how you want it in an account other than the main admin account. then once it is setup you can logon as admin and go to the cpanel, system, advanced, profiles and make a copy of the one you made and overwrite the default user profile and all is dandy. still working on a few more things but this seems to work for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users