Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Major Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LaurenCP

LaurenCP

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

Ok..I was sent here after investigation of my pc by the malware pros. I am running Windows XP and am having problems with several things. First off, I can not access the Windows Update site. It sends back an error 0x80072EFD. I have followed through with all the suggestions on the Windows website for correcting this error, but still nothing.

I am also having a problem with my Outlook Express. Some emails go through and some don't.

I got silly this morning and put in my XP Home Edition disk to try to repair things, and now..it seems I am worse off than I was.

Can anyone help me??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

Is this an Windows XP CD or a recovery CD from the computer manufacturer? What exactly did you do when you put the disk in?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

Hi, and welcome to BC.
In THIS forum another member is having the same promblem in Windows Update you might want to take a look. Here is also some additional information on the error that you got : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941

regards,
extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 LaurenCP

LaurenCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

I had the Windows XP Home Edition CD in the drive. When I restarted I booted from the CD. It brought up a blue screen and at the bottom said "Setup is loading files". It went through a bunch of files (drivers, dll's and such), then it gave me three options: Enter to set up XP, R to Repair using Recovery Console, and F3 to quit setup. I chose R. It went through the process of repairing Windows. My computer is acting like it can't access several websites due to a firewall or something, but I have no firewall installed. Any ideas?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

What websites can you not access, please?

FWIW: What commands did you use when you entered the Recovery Console by selecting the "R"? The Recovery Console does nothing on its own, the user must type in specific commands to attempt to repair certain elements of an existing XP install.

If you go that route, the command I would suggest first is chkdsk /r. An alternative to using the Recovery Console to run this command: XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Put check marks in both options (scan, recover), same function is performed as running chkdsk /r from command prompt or Recovery Console.

If you want to do a repair install of the XP operating system...then you have to elect the option to Enter and set up XP. This will result in new system files, while keeping your data files and programs intact. It will also require reinstalling all critical updates which have been issued since the creation of the CD used to flush old system files.

Louis

#6 LaurenCP

LaurenCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

There are a few....Windows Update being the main one. I can't get to Symantec Security Check, nor can I get to my local ISP website to download a product from them. There have been many numerous websites that I have visited in the past few weeks that have come up with an error message after trying to load saying that the website is down or i have lost internet connectivity, etc.

As far as the XP CD goes...I did the repair. It went through the set up of all the files that were on the CD, but all my program files and documents were still intact. Where do I need to go from here? I am not sure if there is something in my registry that is messing me up or what.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

Just to clarify...you've already had someone in the Am I Infected portion of this website...check and clear your system of malware issues?

Did you look at the link posted by Extremeboy re WinUpdate (after your repair install)?

Were you able to reinstall critical updates after the repair install?

Louis

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

Have a read here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 LaurenCP

LaurenCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:13 AM

hamluis - yes, my computer is apparently free of malware, I did check out the link and I tried everything there, and no, my critical updates are still not working.

garmanma - that idea did not work either.

I have tried a whole bunch of suggestions regarding the repair of windows updates, but to no avail.

I am, by far, no computer expert. But something is telling me that it is either my proxy settings or something is messed up in my registry settings. What's next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users