Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Flash My Bios?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hello all,

I was reading the Tweak Guide and I have backed up my computer and I am trying to optimize it. So I got everest home and so I could see more details on my PC it had some links to scan.esupport.com and I ran a scan and came back with:

Print
Computer name: WILKINS71
Your Ticket #: 18XRQKY
BIOS Type: Unknown
BIOS Date: September 7th 2004
BIOS ID: v1.40-None
BIOS OEM: Version 1.40
Chipset: Intel 3340 rev 33
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
Motherboard: TECRA M2
Maximum Memory: 2048MB
Installed Memory: 512MB
Memory Config: Slot1:0 Slot2:512
Drivers: Your system has 32 drivers and 12 outdated drivers. View

If you click view up jump to driveragent.com and it says I have 63% good and 37% bad. It also says DriverAgent has determined that your computer is missing significant driver update. It gives a list of my drivers and if they are good or bad if bad it gives you the download. One should I down load these? Are they the right ones because I preformed the scan? Is this even flashing your BIOS or just updateing drivers?

Also on esupport.com it gives you another option:

BIOS & Driver Update Download Form: Please submit this form only once
Information

Please take a moment and complete the following form to receive your BIOS update download and driver updates.
Note: We do not share this information with any third parties for any reason.
View our Privacy Policy

Last Name:
Day Time Phone:
State:
Email Address:
Confirm Email Address:
Reason for upgrade and any other comments:

Would you like to receive Device Driver update information regarding your PC? Yes No

Would you like to receive BIOS Update information regarding your PC?

Should I fill this out instead or do both? Does the download end up in a file that I update from or does it update as it downloads? I am also not sure about the BIOS type being unknown. Please help!

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

I don't update drivers unless I'm having issues which would be solved by updating. That goes double for BIOS updates. New high-end motherboards have a utility that make it pretty painless to update. Flashing (updating) a BIOS any other way is tricky and you run the risk or having a geeky-looking doorstop, ie. dead computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

hi,,,, flashing the BIOS is not recomended for the inexperianced user,,,,, if your pc is working fine and everything is compatable then dont bother,,,,,, you also usally get BIOS updates from the mobo manufactorors site and it usally dose'nt ask you all this crap
First Name:
Last Name:
Day Time Phone:
State:
Email Address:
Confirm Email Address:
Reason for upgrade and any other comments:

anything that asks you all this is a come on,,,,, unless your buying something online on a secure site and using an internet email and something like paypal,,,, then never answer to crap like this,,,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users