Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hard Drive Not Showing In My Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:49 AM

Hi all, I got an Apple macbook for repair which wont boot and shows a question mark in a folder. It will boot from CD so I ran the disk utility but it won't show the hard drive. I removed the hard drive and connected it to a universal IDE/SATA USB adapter and connected it to my PC. I got the windows 'ding dong' when I plugged it in but it does not show in my computer. Also it does not show in the disk managment console but it does install with no errors and show in device manager.
I know its Apple and its a different format to a PC but it should display the disk in disk managment, should it not? And give me the options to format etc...
Any ideas would be a help, or intelligent guesses, my guess is that its shagged which would be a shame as the chap has lots of data he didn't back up! Ha! Ha! Ha! Evil boy!
The drive is a Fujitsu MHV2120BH, CA06672-B55600AP, 120GB SATA 2.5

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:56 AM

In device manager under usb device properties it states that the disk is unreadable.

Edited by sparkyuiop, 29 April 2008 - 04:00 AM.

#3 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:40 AM

When I connect it directly to my mobo its not picked up at all. Guess I answered my own question, its shagged!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

A drive may not reflect itself in XP...because users don't know where to look.

Disk Management is the most reliable viewpoint to use...when attempting to recognize hard drives attached. There are various reasons why a drive can be attached and not be seen/recognized in My Computer.

Louis

#5 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Did you not read my post? Ref: Also it does not show in the disk managment console....

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

LOL, my apologies...I read line one without reading line 2.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/archive/ind...hp/t-34576.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2008 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users