Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying Virus/spyware/malware Pop-up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rutgur

Rutgur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:08 AM

I have that annoying "You have unwanted spyware - download antispyware software by clicking OK".
The biggest problem is when Googling. I have Norton AV 2008, and I ran my Verizon Security Suite, which found problems but did not remove THIS problem. I ran Spybot Search & Destroy, but this problem continues. I also run SpywareBlaster, and the problem, remains.

I have a HiJack This log to post, but I'll wait (as per the instructions).

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 29 April 2008 - 12:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:19 AM

Try running SmitFraudFix.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:36 AM

What is SmitFraudFix?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

Click on the text highlighted in blue provided by Budapest. These are links that will provide more information or explain in detail what to do.

When done with that, continue as follows:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

I'm currently extremely gun-shy about any links - as I've seen tech forums where unethical "experts" offer the malicious software itself as a solution. The posting rules here seem to prevent that situation, but I'm trying to be extremely caustious before taking any steps forward. I remember having this problem several years ago, and I remember having to go though several steps (end cycle through a few different scrubbing programs) while in 'safe mode' before my system was clear. Obviously all problems are different, and require different algorythms to reach the solution - hopefully my problem looks pretty familiar...

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

I can understand your caution. That's why I posted about the link. Its safe.

#7 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

I'm told by our office IT guy that I should run SmitFraudFix in 'safe mode'.

I'll post my results later.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

I'm told by our office IT guy that I should run SmitFraudFix in 'safe mode'.

Yes that's correct, in the link I gave in my previous post it explains that SmitFraudFix should be run in Safe Mode.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:33 PM

I'm currently extremely gun-shy about any links - as I've seen tech forums where unethical "experts" offer the malicious software itself as a solution. The posting rules here seem to prevent that situation, but I'm trying to be extremely caustious before taking any steps forward.

you are wise to be cautions and I too in some sections and places on here do NOT like the links given without a URL stated

this forum has a small army of moderators and staff who are constantly monitoring ( as is their 'job')what is posted on here and editing and deleting such material as necessary to keep things in order ; plus the Admin have very kindly made available on forum facilities for ordinary members to notify the Staff of any Board problems or issues

also; some problems may take many attempts and a variety of tools to remove them ......

you need to follow the instructions offered BY Global Mod quietman 7 and good luck with the clean up :thumbsup:

#10 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

I ran SmitFraudFix a couple of times in Safe Mode. System did not automatically reboot. I rebooted into normal mode, and opened my verizon.msn.com homepage to verify my Internet connection.

I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and generated this log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.11
Database version: 699

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 35903
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 8
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#11 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

I did a google search with a website I know is safe and another with the word 'anything'.

System appears to be clear. I'll advise if the situation changes.
:thumbsup:

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Now that you're clean it's a good idea to set a new Restore Point and delete the old ones which may be infected. You can do this by disabling System Restore (which will flush out all the old restore points) and then re-enabling it.

Windows XP System Restore Guide

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:50 PM

Done!!

Thanks for the reminder!

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:07 AM

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
"IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users