Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.net Framework 2.0 Seems Corrupted. . . Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Monkey the Boy

Monkey the Boy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:13 PM

About a few days ago I was running Windows defender. It told me about a high priority file that was monitoring my internet usage. It had to be deleted immediately. However defender was unable to delete after several ettempts. I decided to go in manually and delete it. It was a 0 byte installer package. I forget what folder it was in. All I was worried about was that defender was telling me that it HAD to be deleted. HIGH risk.

So I deleted it and then I noticed that some prgrams weren't working. I worried and decided to post a thread on another forum which brought up the .NET framework. After tweaking some things i noticed the whole thing was messed up. I have been trying to uninstall it but I can't. I've also clicked on the 'Repair' option that I get on Control Panel but that too does not work. Each time I get the same message.

[When Opening programs]
'Program' has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

[When Uninstalling/Repairing]
The Patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can open it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package.

The reason I've been trying to uninstall it is so that I could REinstall it since I can't REinstall it while it is still on my computer. All I get is the repair option, which is not working either.

Please help....
Monkey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:26 AM

You could always install a newer version of NF provided the applications you have which need NF will run okay with the newer version.

Because different applications require different versions of NF, Windows always installs newer versions (or indeed older versions than what you already have) into a separate folder under Program Files. That's why it's possible to have 3 or 4 different NF entries in Add-Remove Programs. Therfore, if you download a newer version it should install (in theory at least).

Alternatively, go here and download the "Net Framework Cleanup Tool": http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200.../10/502439.aspx

Edited by pip22, 29 April 2008 - 04:30 AM.

#3 Monkey the Boy

Monkey the Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

That was good info but unfortunately my problem is with the framework 2.0. If I could get anyone that knows how to uninstall manually the framework 2.0, I would be forever grateful and would kiss them over and over again. Provided they were ladies. If they were guys I would mow their lawn forever and ever.
Monkey

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

Hahaha. You must be pretty desperate. Don't worry, no kissing/mowing necessary.
Have you tried using an external uninstaller program like Revo Uninstaller? Those will clean almost everything up even if installation packages and uninstallations are corrupted.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#5 Monkey the Boy

Monkey the Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

Sounds good. I've downloaded the software but it's TOO powerfuL! I'm scared of trying it and I don't know which files should be deleted. I can't understand them... :'(
Monkey

#6 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

Don't worry, everything that's bold you can safely remove. It scans only the important part of the hard drive and will never remove anything that's not related to the thing you're installing ^_^
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users