Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-malware for older operating systems?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 junklover

junklover

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:54 PM

Can anyone provide information or recommendations concerning anti-virus, anti-trojan, anti-adware, anti-spyware or firewall programs that will run under old operating systems, specifically Windows 3.11, Windows 3.1, Windows 95 or DOS 6.x??

I'm looking for freeware or shareware that I can use on an old, cast-off 486 machine with 40MB of RAM. I realize that I'm largely insulated from the majority of malware because of the archaic software I'm using, but I still want to avoid things like boot-sector viruses, and I'd like to secure the system as best I can. Any information, suggestions, comments, guidance, belittling remarks, etc. would be appreciated...

...the best computer system is a free one!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:35 PM

Hi junklover and welcome to BC.

Take a look at www.oldversion.com for some programs you can match to Windows95. You can get ZoneAlarm 2.6 from there and that will work alright. There are also older versions of AdAware that will probably work with 95 but I would try the latest one just for the heck of it. They also have Spybot S&D, but again the latest one will work (see the Spybot FAQs for the fix for 95).

F-Prot Antivirus for DOS is free for home use, which almost seems like an oxymoron as I don't think many corporations are using Dos these days. AVG Professional works on 95 so I don't see why AVG 7 free version won't.

You are at risk for malware with at least Win95. I just cleaned a machine with 95 on it and it had a number of spyware/adware programs. I cleaned it the lazy way by formatting and loading 98SE :thumbsup:.

The only belittling remarks I can think of concern me because I should have more for you as I am the King of Old Stuff.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users