Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Just Randomly Restarted?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

Heya. I'm unsure as to whether this is the right forum for this or not, but I would appreciate some assistance.

My PC recently randomly restarted itself. I'm not sure as to why...I was just in the middle of doing my usual programs and it abruptly restarted. When it loaded to the desktop everything looked fine...but I noticed the little yellow shield with the exclamation icon pop up on my bottom blue bar for a second and then disappear. This icon usually appears whenever my computer is installing an OS update or notifying me of when it is done...Odd thing was that when, I checked my most recent updates log and saw that nothing had updated(?)

My computer is running the Windows XP Pro OS.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks

TTC

/final edit:
After observing the log further I think I found the root of the cause.
4/28/2008: Save Dump - The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. [etc etc etc]

Anything I should be concerned about?

Edited by TTC, 28 April 2008 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

This type of rebooting behaviour is can be caused by your computer overheating. You can check your system temperatures with SpeedFan, which should give you an indication of whether your system is running too hot.

Also, I would recommend that you open your computer case and make sure all the fans are spinning okay and that there isn't an excessive amount of dust in there that would impede air flow. See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for guidance on cleaning inside your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Before the random restart the tower felt pretty cool, and even now (it hasn't had any restarts since before) its still pretty cold.

My fans were replaced sometime back...And the thing in my tower that was found to be causing heating problems in the past (the graphics card fan died) has been removed and replaced with a brand new card. Back when the tower was overheating during those days, the computer emitted a loud humming noise. There has been no humming noise present since my computer had that part replaced. This note, occured before the restart happened just now.

It should be noted that prior to the random restart I was trying to run three large memory programs. The programs had been having problems with "not responding", so I was killing off each process individually through the windows task manager. It had been after I restarted up two of the three programs again, that it abruptly restarted.

I'm on the Speedfan site right now. What am I suppossed to do to check the heating of the computer?

/edit: in addition, I have cleaned the fans as of 3 weeks ago. I cleaned all 3 fans that are present in my HP Media Center PC m7680n model.

Edited by TTC, 28 April 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

Did you get a "Blue Screen of Death" error message when the computer restarted?

With SpeedFan, you download and install SpeedFan 4.34 from the website.

Edited by Budapest, 28 April 2008 - 07:41 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

Nope. It just blanked out for a moment, went to the normal start up screen, and after loading brought me to the desktop. Nothing seemed altered or changed, and everything has been running just as fine as it usually is.

I figured it had to do with what I had found in the System part of the event viewer. Here is a full version of what it said under the description:

4/28/2008: Save Dump - The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbfb08ae9, 0x95aea67c, 0x00000000) A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042808-01.dmp.

For more information, see help and support center at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

EDIT: I have installed speedfan. What do I do now?

Edited by TTC, 28 April 2008 - 07:44 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

You can analyse the dump file, which may give you a better idea of the cause of the crash.

Windows xp: How to analyze dump file

With SpeedFan, just run it and it will give you the system temperatures.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

I figured out how to use the Speedfan program. This is what I saw with it:

Posted Image

Is everything alright?

Edited by TTC, 28 April 2008 - 07:55 PM.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

What CPU does your computer have?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

What CPU does your computer have?

Um, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean its computer specs?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

For example: Intel Celeron 1.7GHz

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

I believe its this:

Dual-core 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 processor

Hardware Platform: PC
Processor: 2.13 GHz Intel Core Duo
Number of Processors: 2
RAM: 2000 MB
RAM Type: DDR2 SDRAM

(I found this out through a description of the computer on Amazon. I did not get my PC from amazon though...
My computer is an HP Media Center m7680n. I purchased it through CompUSA.

This is all else I know for certain regarding the model:

1. It came with a 300W PSU.

2. It's original graphics card was : Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE video card (256 MB shared)
It has been replaced with the following graphics card: VGA ASUS N EN7300GT SILENT/HTD/256M. The card is kinna big than the other one, and I heard it can sometimes run a little hot.

3. It originally ran on the Windows Media XP Center OS, but was downgraded to Windows XP Pro.

/edit: As a final note, I was reminded that a long time ago prior to the computer getting the replaced part that it restarted randomly once in the middle of the night. This was during a time I used to keep it on for days at a time. (I am a MMO player. I often have to keep one to two of the game client program open at a time) The recent restart happened after I had kept it on two days in a row with this heavy-memory program active. Coincidence, or is there a correlation?

Edited by TTC, 28 April 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

Core temps of 39 and 40C don't sound too bad. You CPU should be good up to about 60C. That temp reading of 74C doesn't look too good, but unfortunately it's hard to know what it's referring to. But you said that you'd had all the fans replaced recently so I would think it's probably not a temp issue. Still, it's worth a look inside the case to see if there's a dust problem.

Did you try the dump file analysis?

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

Core temps of 39 and 40C don't sound too bad. You CPU should be good up to about 60C. That temp reading of 74C doesn't look too good, but unfortunately it's hard to know what it's referring to. But you said that you'd had all the fans replaced recently so I would think it's probably not a temp issue. Still, it's worth a look inside the case to see if there's a dust problem.

Did you try the dump file analysis?

Well, its good to hear everything else in it is going ok at around 60 C at most...but...Hmm.

It's confusing. I cleaned the fan towards the back, and I cleaned the fan up at top. Maybe its the center fan that needs cleaning?

I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to install from that site. @_@ There's a lot of different links as to what's available. What specifically on that site am I supposed to download?

/edit: Oh btw, I switched the Speedfan to chart mode. It seems to be going a steady 74 C that occasionally drops to 73 C. Could it be possible that that's just the normal temperature for the computer?

Edited by TTC, 28 April 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#14 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

As an update, I just got in contact with HP's tech support regarding the computer temperatures.

They said around 60-70C is perfectly normal. :thumbsup:

I'm in the process now of asking whether a little bit above that is alright. Asides from that, things are looking ok....

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

I think you want the Windows 32 Bit one.

As for the fans, I think the ones to concentrate on are those that sit directly on the CPU and GPU. They look like this.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users