Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp - Windows Installer Core Files Corrupted?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 onesikgypo

onesikgypo

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hi,

im trying to install a program and keep getting "error 1720" - now a few weeks ago i had a virus that nearly corrupted my whole windows folder exe's etc. but i managed to recover by installing another Windows on another drive, and repacing the infected files with those from the new windows installation (concentrating just on windows foder, windows/system32 and windows/system32/dllcache)

To fix this, ive already tried reinstalling windows scripts, and windows installer numerous times, both in normal and safe mode.

I tried running the installer on a fresh windows made on the same partion and it installed perfectly, leading me to believe that maybe the virus had damaged a file in the windows folder that i was trying to fix.

i really dont want to have to reinstall everything on the new windows partion, as that would mean reinstalling alot of my programs.

My question is - what are the core component files required to run windows installer and windows scripts - so that i could copy them from the clean windows folder to this older one.

Also if you have any other solutions they would be much appreciated.

thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

You could try running the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 onesikgypo

onesikgypo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

I jus tried it then, with no success.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

You can try this free utility to re-register the Windows Installer: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 onesikgypo

onesikgypo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:05 AM

tried wut u posted, with no luck, still recieving error 1720 on this OS

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:37 AM

Hi,

1. Apply the utility budapest suggested. This time press Policies... if it shows registry restrictions press green double chackmark to mark them all and then press Go. Then reapply the 5 section part again.

2. If yet no luck try the steps described here:http://wiki.castlecops.com/Windows_Update_Fix.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users