Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burned Ubuntu Cd, What Do Next?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

I downloaded and burned the ubuntu cd. What do I do now to get it going? I only want to play around with ubuntu to see if I like it. What checks should I do to make sure ubuntu downloaded correctly and the cd burned correctly? There are a few checks that are recommended; are they really necessary? Also, the list I downloaded ubuntu from had several other Linux distros, several that seemed pretty obscure, voted higher than ubuntu or PCLos. Aren't ubuntu and PCLos two of the very most popular distros? My understanding of computer is basic. Thanks for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

just put the Ubuntu CD in your CD drive and restart the computer. It will boot off the CD (as long as you downloaded the live version) and you can play with it without touching your hard drive. If you can get to a useable desktop then everything should work fine if you install it.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:45 PM

I don't know for Ubuntu, but for PCLOS when you boot the LiveCD
there is a menu item named "MediaCheck". This will verify that the CD is
burned correctly. If it does not boot the LiveCD then most likely the
download or burn is bad. MD5Sum is the checksum used to verify
the ISO you downloaded is not corrupt.

http://www.linuxclues.com/articles/01.htm
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answer...5sum_in_Windows

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

There is the same thing in Ubuntu. Once you boot you will get a menu where you will be able to verify the contents of the disk.

Also just to make sure, did you just burn the iso file as a file or did you burn it as a disk image. Try putting the cd in while you are in windows, does something pop up or do you just see the iso file?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users