Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set Associations Panel In Games

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hi..

I'm trying to run one of the windows Vista games, and it gives me a message saying "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations panel.". I tried searching the internet, but all it talks about is Windows Mail and power point slides... :\ It's not just the play option, neither support nor any of the others work either. Any help? :\

Thanks in advance :\

Edited by InsertNameHere, 28 April 2008 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:51 AM

Which game are you trying to play? What version of Vista are you using?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

Vista home premium, and this happens for every game

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

I'll need a specific example of a common Windows game that you're trying to play.
This can be an issue with the system not recognizing that type of file - or it can be a virus infection causing it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

Sorry =P the games minesweeper, solitaire, spider solitaire, freecell, hearts, mahjong titans, inkball, chess titans and purple place there don't work. This happens in the Games window in the start menu, the games themselves work if you click them through Start - Progams - Games, and also if I put a shortcut to another program on that window, it doesn't work either.

This computer's brand new, I hope it doesn't have viruses already =P

Edited by InsertNameHere, 29 April 2008 - 04:46 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:22 AM

What's located at:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games and
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer ?

Where does the Game Explorer link point to (it's in the first folder that I asked about)? Right click on it, select Properties, then select "Open File Location". It should open a window to your Desktop.

#7 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

This might be what you're looking for:

Attached File  Capture.JPG   98KB   41 downloads

Edit: Sorry, noticed games won't work if games is not ticked.

Edited by Bartster, 30 April 2008 - 10:15 AM.

#8 InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:41 PM

no, the games are installed, and I can play them if I go to their actual location somehwere in appdata I think, I can't open them through where they're supposed to be opened through =P

#9 InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

:huh: I didn't even see usama's post till today..

In C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games there's the games, and the games explorer which points to my desktop. Then in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer there's nine folders with lots of letters and numbers and {s each containing two folders. One's Playtasks, where the game is, and the other one's Supporttasks, where the other stuff is. Also, that's the place games explorer displayed in the title of the pop up when I click the games.

I'm really sorry about that :\ I don't know how I didn't see that post

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

Don't worry about missing it. I haven't been around as much as I used to be - and I've got eye problems, so I miss stuff all the time.

Sounds like there's something amiss with the way that the games are called through the Game explorer. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173432(VS.85).aspx

One post that I've found cited the removal of shortcut arrows causing this sort of error. Have you done any tweaks/registry mod's on this system?

This post shows the same problem, but a lot of other things going wrong (it has to do with activation): http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPo...2&SiteID=25

#11 InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

yay, getting shortcut arrows back worked, thanks! I had gotten rid of them using Uniblue's system tweaker... but I really don't like them, they're too big in Vista =P is there no way to get rid of them without making the games stop working?

Edited by InsertNameHere, 03 May 2008 - 04:17 PM.

#12 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

This will take care of the arrows, but I'm not sure about the effect on games.
It might be worth a try.

http://www.frameworkx.com/download.aspx?a=83&m=84

#13 InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

Yeah, that worked great! Games still work, and I managed to get some other stuff I needed =P thanks a lot =)

#14 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:23 AM

You're welcome. Happy to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users