Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Panda Online A Virus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Seseles

Seseles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hey guys, first time posting here = P

Well here's the problem. I received the XP Anitvirus Virus. So I did some searching around and found a site that gave me instructions to removing it from my computer.

LINK: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/111715/how-to-remove-xpantivirus-removal-instructions/

I went through the whole instruction provided until it stated to used Panda Online to scan my computer. I went to Panda Online's site and started downloading the contents needed for it to scan my computer. After the download was completed, Avast ( Anti-Virus I currently have on my computer, the free home addition ) said that it was a virus and aborted the download.

Now question is, is that necessary or may I continue on with the download and install Panda's contents?

Any helps would be greatly appreciate.

Thank-You = ],

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

It's probably a false positive. Try temporarily disabling Avast while downloading.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

what other scans have you run on the computer? I have asked the Mods to move this to the ' am I infected section' as you seem to BE infected and need a bit more specific input to clean you than you will get in THIS section

there may BE a rare occasion when it MIGHT be required

BUT I would suggest you do NOT disable your antivirus program while downloading ANYTHING else what is the point OF an antivirus program?

#4 SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

missy malware magnet

• Members
  • 2,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:33 PM

Hello,

This is known issue and a false positive.

Panda Antivirus does not encrypt its virus database - the signatures inside are clearly "visible" to other antiviral programs, so they detect this file as infected (but there is actually no virus inside - only the signatures are the same).

You can read more here:
http://www.avast.com/eng/virus_detection_and.html#idt_1554

I suggest that you temporary disable avast real time protection, when Panda scan is done enable the protection and uninstall Panda Active scan. Or use alternative av online scan like Kaspersky or F-secure etc.
SNOWHITE
Posted Image

#5 Seseles

Seseles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the responses.

what other scans have you run on the computer? I have asked the Mods to move this to the ' am I infected section' as you seem to BE infected and need a bit more specific input to clean you than you will get in THIS section - No other scans, just avast. Don't have the whole site layout down yet so didn't know there was a 'Am I infected Section?' Thanks for requesting the move.

From what I read I'm going to assume it's a false alarm. Also, the link SNOWHITE provided helped clear things up.

Thanks again = ],

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

Since this appears to be a false positive We will not move this thread.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Panda is not alone.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for viruses. These may be a fragment of the virus code. Although inactive and harmless, these definitions may be recognised by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. For this reason, most anti-virus and anti-spyware programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. However, some programs do not encrypt their definitions and so will cause false alarms if used while a resident anti-virus program is active.

The most notorious are Trend Micro and Panda. If you receive a virus warning while using these products, it is not because they are trying to infect your computer with malware: they simply have unencrypted definitions and it is essential to disable any resident anti-virus before using them.

A note on virus definitions
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users