Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cut And Paste?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering when you copy and paste something where does the actual infromation get stored? Like if I was to copy this sentance and then paste it to the bottom of this paragraph where is that copy stored and how big is the file. If I was to then copy another sentance and then paste it to the end of that would the original copy be wrote over?

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

When you copy and paste, it is stored in 'Windows Clipboard'. And unless you add a third party clipboard utility. Each time you copy and paste the information is overwritten. I'm not sure of file size constraints.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

Hello.

When you copy text, it is stored in your RAM memory. So no info is actually written onto your harddisk. The size usually isn't a problem, if you consider that you have probably 516mb of RAM and that a full page Word document is no more than 40kb.

The size depends on the length of the material copied and any settings that it may have in it. For example, when you copy this sentence, you are also copying the font setting, size, and color. When you copy a list, the computer takes note that it is in a list, so when you paste it onto a Word document, the list setting is still there. If you copied something out of a Notepad, there would be no text settings.

So if you want a rough calculation, first calculate the amount of text. Then how much special settings it has. Putting it into BB code would help you understand each setting.

When you copy a file in your windows explorer (like copying an .exe file), your computer only takes note of the location.

If you want to see what you have copied, you can type clipbrd.exe into your run box. Notice that by default, you can only copy on thing, though I'm sure there is some kind of multi-clipboard feature.

With Regards,
The Panda

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

When you copy/paste something, it is stored in the ClipBook Viewer.
Read the info HERE: http://www.real-knowledge.com/clearbrd.htm about the Viewer and how to clear it.

#5 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

Thank you all,

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

#6 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

if you are copying/cutting anything within microsoft office 2003, there is an office clipboard..

just mentioning it as it can actually store multiple cut/copied items :thumbsup:

#7 Paulabear

Paulabear

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

It copies to Clipboard! A program used by windows. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users