Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Packed.win32.monder.gen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scooter63

Scooter63

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hi there.

I'm new to all this and I hope I'm in the right place to ask for some help. My computer was infected with the Packed.Win32.Monder.gen virus as told to me by my f-secure antivirus software. Anyway, after searching the web, it seemed that cleaning with Combofix would do the trick. I downloaded the program along with the appropriate recovery console from Microsoft and ran Combofix. Anyway, it seems to have cleaned my computer except I have lost my background picture and cannot restore it - it throws the following message; Cannot find 'file:///C:/WINDOWS/privacy-danger/index.htm' Make sure the path or Internet adress is correct.

The internet is connected and everything else seems to be working as before. What can I do to fix up this problem?

Thank you in advance
Kind regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

I presume you are unaware of the risks involved with running combofix unsupervised?

rigel Mod

ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

combofix disclaimer

you may have discovered why this tool is NOT to be used without EXPERT guidance

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=799623

let's see if this scan tells us anything

Edited by DaChew, 28 April 2008 - 05:42 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=799733

let's see if this scan tells us anything

@da chew is this link actually correct as it seems to go to another member' s thread and not direct to a pinned set of instructions on here?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=799623

good catch ruby, post edited

I was asking just for the scan, not the fix, as I would be very cautious running the fix after combofix has already been run

Edited by DaChew, 28 April 2008 - 05:45 PM.

Chewy

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

(@da Chew not sure what's going on as I still have the link going to another member's thread and NOT a pinned set of instructions? :thumbsup:

a pinned set is here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

how much OF that do you wish them to follow ??)

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

I just wanted them to run a smitfraud scan, no fixes, and let's look at a log and see what's up

the experts would have analyzed a dss and probably run a special fix with combo or run another tool first
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users