Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Zonealarm?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paulabear

Paulabear

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

Lately, CHKDSK wants to run. So, I let it.
Here's my report, if it's important:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is PRESARIO.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Multiple object id index entries in file 0x19
point to the same file 0x9ee5.
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 25.
Multiple object id index entries in file 0x19
point to the same file 0xac1b.
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 25.
Index entry DSCoreItem.dsf of index $I30 in file 0x1b points to unused file 0x9ee4.
Deleting index entry DSCoreItem.dsf in index $I30 of file 27.
Index entry DSCORE~1.DSF of index $I30 in file 0x1b points to unused file 0x9ee4.
Deleting index entry DSCORE~1.DSF in index $I30 of file 27.
Unable to locate the file name attribute of index entry 2008-04-25 23.48.41 Crash.dmp
of index $I30 with parent 0x1c7cd in file 0xac1b.
Deleting index entry 2008-04-25 23.48.41 Crash.dmp in index $I30 of file 116685.
Unable to locate the file name attribute of index entry 2008-04-25 23.48.41 Crash.txt
of index $I30 with parent 0x1c7cd in file 0x9ee5.
Deleting index entry 2008-04-25 23.48.41 Crash.txt in index $I30 of file 116685.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 50 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 50 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 50 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
The remaining of an USN page at offset 0x365c61ce8 in file 0x1a14c
should be filled with zeros.
The USN Journal entry at offset 0x365c62000 and length 0x41414141 crosses
the page boundary.
Repairing Usn Journal file record segment.
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

108228928 KB total disk space.
66473976 KB in 130313 files.
103604 KB in 14271 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
475660 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
41175688 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
27057232 total allocation units on disk.
10293922 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
e0 83 03 00 d3 34 02 00 0c 87 03 00 00 00 00 00 .....4..........
ab 34 02 00 02 00 00 00 82 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 .4..............
5a 70 29 07 00 00 00 00 ce 6c 61 bc 01 00 00 00 Zp)......la.....
7e b6 e6 16 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ~...............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 a3 7c eb 01 00 00 00 ..........|.....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 80 35 07 00 09 fd 01 00 ..6......5......
00 00 00 00 00 e0 3f d9 0f 00 00 00 bf 37 00 00 ......?......7..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Also, ZoneAlarm, apart from the rest of the processes, takes about 8 minutes which is EXTREMELY abnormal.
It causes my whole computer to take a few minutes to load any programs after that.

For instance, I will try to open FireFox (I have task manager open) and it finally recognizes it wants to run a few minutes later.

These are my tasks running:

Posted Image

So, yes, I'm concerned as to why my computer has suddenly started to go slowly.
Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

Ideally...users run chkdsk frequently enough...that they don't have to be prompted to run it by XP. When XP feels overwhelmed by whatever is wrong, it will run on the next boot.

I cannot comment on ZA, since I decided several years ago not to use it. It's not the only free firewall that is also effective, you might try something else and see if ZA was the problem with your system.

Louis

#3 Paulabear

Paulabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

Ideally...users run chkdsk frequently enough...that they don't have to be prompted to run it by XP. When XP feels overwhelmed by whatever is wrong, it will run on the next boot.

I cannot comment on ZA, since I decided several years ago not to use it. It's not the only free firewall that is also effective, you might try something else and see if ZA was the problem with your system.

Louis

Yes.. That is why I'm wonder why it feels the need to run...

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

Give this a read
http://www.raymond.cc/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Paulabear

Paulabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Give this a read
http://www.raymond.cc/

It's not that it's RUNNING,
my point is, I want to know why it's slow, as well.
There's obviously something wrong that makes chkdsk want to run.
And ZA is making my computer slow somehow. :thumbsup:

#6 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

ZA is set to update itself automatically when you first connect to the Internet. Maybe that's causing the lag?
Oh yeah, I just looked up every single of your task manager entries, and I think ScanningProcess.exe is the problem. According to CastleCops that's a ZoneAlarm scanner. Did you change options for ZoneAlarm to do a scan on startup or something?
Try disabling that, maybe it'll go faster.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#7 Paulabear

Paulabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

ZA is set to update itself automatically when you first connect to the Internet. Maybe that's causing the lag?
Oh yeah, I just looked up every single of your task manager entries, and I think ScanningProcess.exe is the problem. According to CastleCops that's a ZoneAlarm scanner. Did you change options for ZoneAlarm to do a scan on startup or something?
Try disabling that, maybe it'll go faster.

That would make sense. However, I didnt check it to scan every time on startup.
Well, I guess it's slow with everything that uses internet, AIM was slow when I started it up, too.

I'm thinking of just getting rid of it and maybe going for NOD32 but I'm not completely sure. ZA has just given me multiple problems. The thing is, I want to be sure it's ZA's fault in the first place. As of now I'm about 90% sure it is.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

If you want to gather more data on why chkdsk runs at boot...one step would be to download/run a diagnostic on the hard drive.

...and...letting chkdsk run at boot...is not as good as running chkdsk /r periodically, IMO.

I suggest that you run chkdsk according to the following instructions for doing so, using the Graphical Version: XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Put check marks in both options (scan, recover).

Anytime that you enable scans on your system...the system is bound to be less responsive when such scans are done...no matter whether these are done by Windows Defender, an AV program of choice, or some other 3d-party utility.

AFAIK, firewalls routinely scan the system environment on boot...and that may result in a delay approximating 2-3 minutes before the desktop settles and the system is available. Anything other than that and it's not the firewall, since all firewalls are constantly scanning as they protect the system.

Louis

#9 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

Try downloading another firewall setup and removing ZA. Then see how much faster your startup goes. If it's better, you might wanna try your other firewall. If not, let's assume chkdsk is the problem.
Did you get any weird system popups or messages at all regarding something even remotely suspicious?
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users