Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying Restore Drive Popup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

Ok, i'm at my dad's house trying to keep it from screaming at him about D: space. its an 8G partition with 3 files/folders amounting to a little over half a gig. Deleted the old restore points to no avail. looked for hidden folders on there and nada.
Any ideas?

Its a Compaq Pressario SR5013WM
running vista home basic
P4 3.2G 1.5G RAM 140G HDD

Edited by smurfgod, 28 April 2008 - 12:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

What are the pop ups saying? It sounds like D: is your recovery partition. Do you have any sticky (stuck) Function keys?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

Can't make it go right now for an exact message. Just the general idea is that Space is low, to try and fix the problem click here. that takes it into the System Protection screen that deals with the restore and such. I forgot to mention that on D: properties it says 7.6G used 675M available. Even tho the math obviously doesn't add up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...269&lang=en

From the above, would conclude that there is a recovery partition taking up the missing space.

I'm curious as to where you got the 3 files which you say total .5GB.

Louis

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

I'm not really sure what icons vista uses since i despise it myself. But one was a file called Restore second was a folder named after him, with i'm assuming personal settings inside, last one was a 1k file i'm not sure what it was called. But the first 2 were 250MB each give or take, sure wasn't 7GB. i'll check out the link and see if it gives any sort of clues

**edit**
Maybe i didn't read close enough but i couldn't get anything off that site.

and no the keys weren't sticky either, tried each of em in succession and all worked with no spamming.

Edited by smurfgod, 28 April 2008 - 04:49 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

Hidden folders/files...will not necessarily show up in My Computer...but they should be reflected in the Disk Management part of XP, I think.

I don't know, since I've never dealt with any hidden partitions/files/folders and I have no experience with systems having recovery/restore partitions.

Others here do, wait for some input from them.

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

I asked about sticky function keys because that's usually the way you start the recovery procedure, hitting 2 keys at once. The recovery partition is usually compressed in one way or another. You say it's a 7 gig partition. I could be wrong but I think Vista requires around13-15gigs to install. So I'm guessing that 7gig is the recovery partition
Read this about the disk space usage
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users