Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Find Photo, But Can See It

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ibfromkc

ibfromkc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:02 PM

Ok I thought I was crazy, but a friend confirmed otherwise. I can see a thumbnail view of a photo but when I click on it, another photo shows up. How do I find the first picture??
I think what happened was I uploaded a photo and then later uploaded another photo and it was given the same name (number from the camera).
I am running windows vista 32
Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:03 AM

It may only exist as a thumbnail if the actual photo file has been overwritten. Thumbnails are separate and are held in a 'cache' by Windows. That's all you're seeing and that's all it is. The cache has evidently not updated itself since the picture file was overwritten, which is why there is now a mis-match between the thumbnail and the existing filename.

My digicam doesn't duplicate previously used image numbers even if the card is formatted (the camera remembers which index numbers have already been used) so perhaps your camera doesn't have this feature or you've reset the camera's image counter somehow. Even then, an overwrite process should trigger a Windows warning to which you have to give your permission -- so it's very odd unless you weren't taking notice and allowed it.

Windows XP keeps a 'database' of the thumbnails in each folder, it's called 'thumbs'db' and it's hidden. If you unhide it you can delete it. next time you open that folder a new database is created which should then match the actual images it represents. I imagine same applies to Vista (which I don't have). That won't bring your overwritten picture back but it will fix the mismatch.

Edited by pip22, 29 April 2008 - 04:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users