Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stewarts

Stewarts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had problems with this new AVG 8 Internet Security.

I have for many years used the paid older AVG 7 version and had no problems, until I updated to their new paid AVG 8 program.

The problem is this program will not run a virus scan, or in fact run any scans of my computer!! I have for the past 3 weeks been emailing 'AVG Tech Support', who have really not been very helpful. They took 4 days to answer my issue, and when I acted on their instructions to remove the following file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\scanlogs, they asked if the issue was still present.

And because this issue was still present I again had to sent more files to them, and after 2 more days they have now informed me that the reported issue is a know bug. And their developers are working on getting a solution to this issue, they will inform me when a solution is available.

My OS is Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, 5.1.2006 Service Pack 2 Build 2600.

I hope someone out there has any suggestions, or has had the same ongoing issue and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

Stewart

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 28 April 2008 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

There have been some rumbling about the new AVG 8, one of the problems it seems is that there will be no automatic updates, the will have to be done manually.

If you can find a copy of the 7 I would uninstall the 8 and replace it, at the very least until they get the bugs sorted out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Seanio

Seanio

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

Stewart,

I work for AVG Technical UK and can tell you how to resolve this issue very quickly. By default when you go to install AVG 8 onto your computer it will uninstall AVG 7.5 from your computer, but will leave some files behind. Now there is a bug in the software that resides in the scan component and can freeze up the scan and also can even blank the scan completely out so you are left with a blank screen. They are currently working on this issue at the moment.

What you need to do is first download AVG 8 (depends on what version you have Internet Security or Anti-virus) onto your desktop first. When you have done this then uninstall AVG 8 from your computer. To do this click on START, ALL PROGRAMS, AVG 8, UNINSTALL AVG. Make sure that you tick to delete user settings and objects from the virus vault.

Sometimes AVG 8 will fail to uninstall, so please go into safe mode to do this. Once AVG 8 is uninstalled from your computer please delete the following:

C:\Program Files\AVG
C:\Program Files\Grisoft
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\grisoft (if you have it there)

And last, please delete the registry key, to do this click on START, RUN and type in 'regedit' without the marks. Hit the enter key or click on OK. Registery editor will appear, navigate to the following folder and delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GRISOFT

Delete both, empty your recycle bin and then restart. Now install AVG 8 onto your computer. (remember when you come to the firewall configuration, if you are using a router please make sure you select computer in domain)

Hope that helps,

If you get any problems then just say :thumbsup:

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

you are not alone in your problems with the new avg program and you, like many others, may wish to revert to the avg 7.5 version pro temp ? if so , if you need an exe it is

http://www.oldapps.com/AVG_antivirus.php

you may also find that saving program exes on your computer assists with these hiccoughs when you find you have a program you really cannot run and need to revert to a previous version for on going success :thumbsup:

#5 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

you are not alone in your problems with the new avg program and you, like many others, may wish to revert to the avg 7.5 version pro temp ? if so , if you need an exe it is

http://www.oldapps.com/AVG_antivirus.php

you may also find that saving program exes on your computer assists with these hiccoughs when you find you have a program you really cannot run and need to revert to a previous version for on going success :thumbsup:

thanks for the link ruby1 :D

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

Hi,
I have AVG 8.0 anti virus and for me you can update it automatically.
Try reinstalling it, that's how I got mine working again.
Also like what Ruby1 said, you might just want to go back using AVG 7.5

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 Stewarts

Stewarts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

I just thought that I would keep you all up to date with my issue.

Firstly, I did try 'Seanio' instructions and I followed them to the letter, however, I am afraid it did not work for me. I did try a few times without success. I would like to thank you anyway for trying though!!

So I again issued another 2 tickets to AVG 8 Tech Support, as they did not answer the first ticket. So after another week I sent a strongly worded second ticket and I did receive a reply and an apology saying they are still working on this bug at the moment.

At my request they also issued me with a new license so that I could downgrade to AVG 7.5 until they had sorted out this issue with this bug. So I am very pleased to say that I now have the older more reliable AVG 7.5, and I have run my first full system scan!! yippee :thumbsup:

So dear friends, can I strongly advise you not to upgrade to AVG 8 until this bug is sorted.

And as 'dc3' advise to me earlier; if you have upgraded to AVG 8 and are having these problems I would recommend that you all revert back to AVG 7.5 until this issue with their bug is sorted out!

Thanks again for all your advice and help

Stewart :flowers:

#8 rossotron

rossotron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Seanio, that's the solution I was looking for. The first page google threw up was a 'yahoo answers' page, where several replys on how to get rid of AVG were instructions on how to use Control Panel's Add / Remove Programs. What a bunch of r-tards. There's no point posting a solution to a problem if you don't understand the problem. And why is AVG so difficult to get rid of, God, it's like a virus. Spleen vented...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users