Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I Start Windows, "my Computer" Pops Up Automatically

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bandit21

bandit21

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

Hi Guys,

I have this small but sometimes annoying problem with my WinXP Home SP2 desktop computer. Everything was running smoothly then one day when I booted my PC, My Computer pops up automatically after signing in to my user account, funny thing is even the other user accounts on the same machine has the same exact problem, tried running System Restore but it did not fix anything, I also tried running several antivirus and antispyware but non of them detected that there is anything that disrupts the normal OS start up or a virus that causes the computer to behave that way :thumbsup: , last thing I want to do is to format my HDD because my back up HDD just crashed. Any insights will be greatlly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

This is definately unusual...I guess that you could checked to see if "My Computer" was somehow added to the start menu. Some versions of Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware allow you to control your start-up menu...Check to see if My Computer is included in one of them. Another idea is to run "msconfig" from the command prompt and check under the "start-up" tab or maybe under "services" to see what is running at the time...Other than that, I just don't know... :thumbsup:
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 bandit21

bandit21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

I already tried it but the start up box is empty, checked the services and I don't see My Computer or anything that somewhat resembles My Computer, what I did is disabled all the services running(Clean Boot) and it works fine. It's very difficult to check all the services running or I don't know if there is any application running on the background that is not being listed under services on the Task Manager. Well guess I have to do more research using Mr. Googles and hopefully I could get a solution for this one. I will also post it if there is any..

Thanks for the insight Douglas or is it Martin? :thumbsup:

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hello bandit21,

Try this -- check/change the following setting:

Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Folder Options, click the View tab, and then make sure that Restore previous folder windows at logon in the "Advanced settings:" list is UNcheck (cleared). Then click Apply, then click OK.

I don't understand why the behavior occurs for all users, but the above may be worth a try.

#5 bandit21

bandit21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

Indeed it sounds odd. I already tried that approach as well and just like you mentioned it's even more odd that it affects all the users... I'm starting to think that reformatting the HDD is the only way to solve this problem of mine... :flowers: I know there's a bug/virus/rootkit/spyware or whatever you call it somewhere but so far the softwares that I have tried detects my computer is bug free... :thumbsup:

Thanks M.... :trumpet:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

My Document fixes Kelly's Korner
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/
You might be able to do something with TweakUI

Edited by garmanma, 28 April 2008 - 01:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 bandit21

bandit21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thanks garmanma I'll try those stuffs and give you a feedback as soon as possible... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users