Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Outlook Express To Operate With Our Router

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kennydevon

kennydevon

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

Bleep bleep bleep!

I have an Orange email account. Living in France without a broadband connection, I normally access my emails by dial-up. However now that I am back in the family home in the UK which has a broadband connection, I want to take advantage of it, but I can't get the bleeping thing to work.

The kids computer is connected to the internet using a router which connects itself into Tiscali's broadband service. My computer happily detects the existence of this network and takes advantage of it when I use my Firefox browser. Fantastic modern technology!!

But when I try to access my emails using broadband, it's a different story. I use Outlook Express on Windows XP, and it normally operates just fine. I've tried two approaches. The first was to temporarily modify my existing email 'account' to tell it to use the broadband connection when it's available. Within Outlook Express, I went into Tools and Account, but I cant find a field that talks about broadband, nevermind one that talks about broadband through a router.

I've also tried setting up a broadband connection through the connection wizard in the Control Panel which seemed to work, but which mysteriously didn't talk about a router, nor did it ask me for the connection details, eg phone number, for the broadband service we use. ??? When I then tried to reference this new connection in the dialogue for setting up the email account, it seems to be treated like any other dial-up connection. This might be OK if either (A) it detected a working broadband connection vai the router, which it doesn't, or (:thumbsup: if it went ahead and re-dialed the brodband service, which it doen't because it hasn't got the phone number!

Obviously I'm missing something incredibly simple here, and would appreciate some assistance.

I know I'll get this sorted out eventually with your help, but in the mean time I'm left wondering how do the little old ladies of this world ever manage to cope with this sort of problem, especially those who haven't yet discovered bleepingcomputer!

Kenny

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users