Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puter Won't Power Up!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sweeney.172

sweeney.172

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:18 AM

Hello all-

I'm having trouble with the computer once again. It's an acer ferrari laptop with windows XP64. I was messing around on it yesterday and downloaded something for my girlfriend. I'm not sure if it started before I downloaded this thing, but my computer started acting a little funny. Not bad at all though, it would just not show the menu options when I would right-click on things. That's it. But it was also running a little slow so I attributed this to the slow running. I decided to shut down everything and restart the computer because that is usually puts everything back in line. It wasn't a hard shut-down either. But now the computer will not turn back on. The LED on the front will indicate that the power cord is plugged in and there is another LED right beside that. This second LED will briefly light when I push down the power button but will then go out. That is all the activity I'm getting out of my computer right now. HELP!

If if helps: the downloaded file was put onto a flash drive and transferred to my girlfriend's computer. I opened it as far as I did on my computer and nothing happened to hers. I guess I'm saying that I don't think I downloaded some crazy computer killing virus. I've had viruses before and this doesn't seem like that. Also, there wasn't any type of power surge when this happened.

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hi sweeney.172, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Do you bet any beeps when it tries to fire up?

Do you see anything on the monitor when you try to start it?

Do you have the installation disc for the operating system? If you do see if you can get the computer to boot from it. You may need to enter the BIOS and change the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order. If it boots the there is either a problem with the hdd or the OS. To determine if it's the hdd you can open the case and find out who the manufacturer is, you can then go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will be able to boot from this disc to run the test.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sweeney.172

sweeney.172
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

Hello dc3.

I do not get any beeps. I do not have anything on the screen. It doesn't get far enough to enter the bios. Other than the two little LEDs on the front, literally nothing happens. I do have the installation CD but I don't know what good it will do me at this point. I don't mean to sound mean at all, I'm just kinda freaking out. I'm a college student and my computer is my life. Sorry if it sounds like I have an attitude. I really do appreciate the help.

#4 sweeney.172

sweeney.172
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hello all-

Ok now something really wierd happened. I came home and out of desperation I decided to give this one more shot. Amazingly enough, it turned on!! Everything works fine! While I should be happy about this, I'm still concerned. I think if it happened once it is going to happen again. What would cause this? It's obviously not the mobo which would have been the obvious choice. Loose connection? How do I find that?

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Previously did it seem like the computer was starting and then not displaying the information on the LCD? ( I always ask this when dealing with a laptop) It could have been the lid switch which turns the LCD off when you close the lid sometimes they get stuck or become warn over time.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 sweeney.172

sweeney.172
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

Sneakycyber-

No it wasn't the LCD screen or switch. I've actually had problems with the LCD on this machine recently though. Before there seemed to be a loose connection or something and lines would display on the screen. The picture would also become distorted or frozen. When I squeezed in certain areas the problems would go away for a while and then start up again. I eventually got frustrated and squeezed a little too hard, sending a nice long crack all the way across my monitor. At that point it was all I could do to not throw this computer through the window, but after a few hundred dollars and a little time I now have a brand new LCD. I know that was a long answer but no, it wasn't the monitor failing to turn on. There was just nothing at all happening. It's pretty quiet here and I would have heard the cooling fan or other internal parts. I also would have had more lights come on. Thanks for the response though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users