Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Or Hardware/software Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

OK not sure if this is posted in the right place or not.

Since yesteday morning I have been getting the blue screen of death on my PC. My daughter was using the PC when it first rebooted and it happened about 10 tens after that, then it seemed to be OK and I managed to use the PC for the rest of the day without any problems.

Switched it on again this morning and the same thing has been happening all morning. Its working OK at the moment but know it won't be long before it goes off again.

One thing I noticed a few times before PC reboots is a message from my ZoneAlarm security advising of a virus but its not on screen long enough for me to see what it is or do anything to it in any way.

When I got the PC up and working yesterday I ran ZoneAlarm antivirus/spyware and nothing showed up. I also ran AVG antivirus and spyware, again nothing showed up.

I tried System Restore yesterday when it first happened but that failed each time I tried to do it.

There is one piece of software that I have been trying to remove from the PC but can't remove it in safe mode and every time I try to remove it when logged on in normal mode the PC crashes.

I have limited computer experience so any advice or guidance would be helpful.

Thank you
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

What Windows Version do you have?

What was the last thing your daughter doing just before the PC rebooted and Blue Screen of Death?

Have you tried re-installing Zone Alarm Security?

Can you read the error message and description in the Blue Screen Of Death or is the PC rebooting so fast that you are not able to read? If so follow this advice (If you're running Xp) to disable auto-reboot: http://www.tweakxp.com/article36976.aspx

Also, what is the name of the software that you are unable to remove in safe mode/normal mode?

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

would you please clarify; from what you say it would appear you have BOTH zone alarms antivirus program AND AVG antivirus porgram installed on the computer?

is this correct?

#4 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

yes pc was rebooting too fast to be able to read message on blue screen

And yes I have ZoneAlarm security but also the AVG free antivirus/spyware as sometimes ZoneAlarm didn't pick up all problems.

Finally managed to keep pc on and ran virus checker again, this time it picked up the virus and it was something daughter had downloaded.

Hopefully end to problems but a frustrating couple of days

Thanks
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

yes pc was rebooting too fast to be able to read message on blue screen

And yes I have ZoneAlarm security but also the AVG free antivirus/spyware as sometimes ZoneAlarm didn't pick up all problems.

Finally managed to keep pc on and ran virus checker again, this time it picked up the virus and it was something daughter had downloaded.

Hopefully end to problems but a frustrating couple of days

Thanks

sorry but if you have BOTH of these installed on there? and BOTH have antivirus properties? you WILL have problems ; the rule is ONE installed antivirus program ONLY ; IF both DO have antivirus properties you will need to uninstall one of them else you will get infected

you can run say trend micro on line scan as a back up checker if you wish but you need to have only ONE INSTALLED antivirus program

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users