Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Farewells, Going On Holidays, Wont Be Here For A Short Time Etc Forum

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

Hi :flowers:

I had a great idea that we should start up a forum in the General chat forum called the Farewells, Temporary leaving and Going on vacation forum (This could be better :thumbsup: ) Basically it runs like this; if you are not going to be on BC for lets say a week because you are going on Vacation, you can post it here :trumpet: If you are going to leave BC permanently then it would be nice to inform us that you are doing so, in this forum :inlove: If you are going away for 3 days then you can inform us via this section of the board. This is basically what it gets used for and I think (My opinion) it would be nice to have it set up. I have seen some members actually put that they are going away in their signature or other places but I think ti would be better if we could know all of this in just one place.

Admin: I understand if you don't think this is a good idea or if it can't happen; that is why I am submitting it to see what you think about it :cool:

(This is just an idea to make this a more friendly place)

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:58 AM

I think thats a terrific idea! :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

Admin?

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

I think 'going on holiday' topics are too few and far between to warrant their own forum.
My thoughts are that the 'General Chat' forum would suffice for all these kind of postings..

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

I agree with DT.

If one feels a need to post about being absent from the BC, then post in the General Forum.
There is no need for a separate or pinned topic for such.

It's much like the birthday threads. Here today and gone tomorrow.

In short, it's not going to happen. Sorry.

Edited by KoanYorel, 28 April 2008 - 12:38 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

I can confirm Koan's assessment. This will not happen as we have more than ample space within the General Chat Forum to post your 'away notices'. In 4 plus years with over 175K members, I don't think there have been more than 50 posts total to fill a title specific forum. Not enough demand. As was mentioned. Here today, gone tomorrow.

However this does not mean that if you have other ideas that we do not want to hear them. Just understand that not all ideas will be implemented. Ideas need to affect the entire forum ideally and a majority of members. Thank you for your suggestion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

I have been and am on a wide variety of forums

the only forum I know that DID have such a set up was taken down and off line many years ago with the agrement of the vast majority of the then members ; people felt it very churlish to 'report in and out' and you cannot pin anyone down TO log into any forum and you may one day not feel LIKE logging in

no one is indespensible ( site owner and admin excepted!!)and there are always other members around

as Animal says...members come and members go ....................................

HOWEVER ,may be the section that MIGHT require such a facility could be within the 'hidden ' Study Hall ? so that students who know they will be off line and away for a period of time can let the Teachers know so they are not dismissed FROM the school for lack of attendance

this can also help the student if a Teacher will be absent for a while so the student will then know they are not being 'ignored' .........

and I guess the Admin Team also keep one another informed OF expected absenses...if only to ensure a 'presence' is kept on the board if ,heaven forbid, it gets 'attacked' from either within or without .................................

#8 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

To just squeeze in some of my thoughts...

I believe many people would not see three days or a week such a long time to deserve informing other members lack of their presence. Actually, I would estimate only 10% of the members or fewer log on once a week, and perhaps less than 5% log on daily. That's just my estimates... Sorry if I have grossly underestimated!

Secondly, many members might not really feel comfortable revealing their absence or the vacation they might be taking. And even if they are okay with it, I don't think they'll see themselves as that important to let people know they'll not be here. Only those with responsibilities would maybe require to inform the other party, which they can do so privately.

And also, the Internet is everywhere these days, so many people might just be able to log on from elsewhere while on vacation!

As for those who are leaving the forum permanently, they might feel (in my opinion) a bit daft saying 'Goodbye, I am leaving and I intend not to come back'! And also, if too many of these are posted, we might have to question ourselves 'what's going on', I guess...

Edited by Juha, 30 April 2008 - 10:11 AM.

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

Sorry I haven't been on in a while had internet problems :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback though. It is better than just being left in the dark :flowers:

I have a new idea which can be found here.

Thanks!

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users