Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Encryption Setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

Some months ago I installed a D-Link G604T wireless ADSL modem/router and a Belkin 54g card in my laptop to pick up the signal. (I'm running XP SP2). I checked round the house and found that the signal could only just be received outside the walls with a weak rating. I concluded that either the card or the modem/router was not very good but OK for my purposes so did not bother to learn the encryption procedure as I thought nobody else would be able to pick it up.

One of my neigbours now tells me he can pick up the signal from my modem/router and that his son has been using it to play games (I don't really mind but at the least the little b........ could have asked and they have their own wireless system anyway!). This probably explains why my speed drops to very low levels at times so I need to encrypt my system after all.

Would someone please explain what I need to do to install the encryption, do I need any info from my ISP for example or is it just a matter of putting in a password somewhere?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

Hi supermart57

Its always a good idea to encrypt your wireless signal. Not only your neighbours but hackers known as War Drivers like to cruise around and use wireless connections to do things on someone elses internet account and even access your computers.

Intel has a good site concerning wireless security. Click on Develop your wireless security plan on that site. Also check out this MS article called WPA Wireless Security for Home Networks. It tells you how to set it up. WPA-PSK is the current standard if your equipment supports it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for finding the Microsoft article Leurgy. It goes into the sort of detail I need. Now all I have to do is implement it.

By the way does anyone have any views on the Belkin 54g card I use to pick up the signal?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:53 AM

According to Belkin that card only supports wireless 64- and 128-bit WEP so I guess you'll have to go with that. It will still be secure.

Your D-link supports WEP though so if you are really concerned about security you may want to upgrade the card.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users