Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Protect My Computer? Trying To Resolve A Tracking Issue-trojan Type Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tricia40

Tricia40

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hi there.

I went and purchased ESET smart security but I'm not sold on it. Any opinions?
I feel like I would be better off with AdAware Pro, Spybot search and destroy and maybe zone alarm? (What is Zone alarm? Is that a malware or a firewall kind of thing?)

Also what are your feelings about using that kind of combo of freeware and the pro Adaware product with only windows firewall? (I've heard terrible things about the windows firewall not being very
secure..is that true? That's why I got the ESET for the two way firewall - but like I said the program is a bit buggy and I'm not sure it's really helping me. )

Can you give me any advice on the best protection combination?
ESET insists that you don't have any other antivirus programs running - but I think that's not
such a great idea because some programs pick up other things that other programs won't.

Any advice on this would be great - also freeware is good for me - I think I've spent enough on products that claim to do everything but dont....

I'm trying to clear out some malware - I get redirected to false sites often. I also think I had a win32.Agent trojan ( which Adaware picked up but ESET didn't ) and worry that some of the malware is being loaded during windows update - is that possible?

I also have a D-Link router - the newest, best one and I use mozilla while surfing.

Thanks

Tricia!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

Tricia,

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users