Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message And Possible Virus!?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NikiLynn

NikiLynn

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

First, I apologize for posting this again. I think I posted it in the wrong location first, and just wanted to make sure this was seen.....

My computer got infected last week, and an IT friend walked me through installing BitDefender and Spybot. When my computer was all cleaned up, the only remaining issue was that my desktop was a blank white screen and read error file:///c:/WINDOWS/privacy_danger/index.htm cannot be found....

I've tried following the instructions on bleepingcomputer.com, but my computer won't run DSS, so I'm unable to run HijackThis.

Another concern I have is there are many files that were unable to be scanned because they are password protected. I'm unsure if my problem(s) are in these files, if there is a way to scan them.

I did run Kaspersky, which came up clean....

I still have some pop ups that say I'm being infected or someone is trying to hack, etc. etc, and BitDefender seems to be blocking them. But I am still worried about my risk level.

Also, ALL of these issues started shortly after I installed Firefox, I don't know if this is coincedence or not.....?

Thanks in advance for your help, I desperately NEED IT!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

Hello ,I removed your misplaced post.
We need to know somethings
What is /are your
>Your Operating system..XP,Vista etc
>The antivirus program that is installed ,not sure if you have a few there
>The antispyware program(s) that are installed

Please try to run the SDFix and post back the scan result.
ONLY USE if ..Windows XP/2K (tool must be run in Safe Mode)

How to use SDFix

After the scan completes and once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
Copy and paste the contents of the results file Report.txt in your next reply.

NOTE:
How to enter safe mode(XP)...Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Edited by boopme, 27 April 2008 - 07:55 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 NikiLynn

NikiLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

To answer your questions, I am using XP, and have both BitDefender and Spybot Search and Destroy.

I went to Safe Mode, but then was unable to get online to run SDFix...I printed out the instructions, and tried to run it offline in Safe Mode, but it didn't work...Sorry, I'm so computer illiterate, which is probably precisely why I'm here needing help....

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

Download SDFix.exe from the following link and save it to your desktop:

from normal mode
double click it and install to the C drive(that's the default)

then reboot

go into safe mode and do the

Click on the Start button, click on the Run menu option, and type the following into the Open: field:

C:\SDFix\RunThis.bat

reread the directions, they are a little complicated

Edited by DaChew, 27 April 2008 - 08:56 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 NikiLynn

NikiLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

Okay...thank you so much! It worked ;-) Here is the SDFix Report....

SDFix: Version 1.176
Run by HP_Administrator on Sun 04/27/2008 at 08:35 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Checking Services :

Restoring Windows Registry Values
Restoring Windows Default Hosts File
Restoring Default HomePage Value
Restoring Default Desktop Components Value

Rebooting

Checking Files :

Trojan Files Found:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\Error Cleaner.url - Deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorites\Error Cleaner.url - Deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\Privacy Protector.url - Deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorites\Privacy Protector.url - Deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\Spyware&Malware Protection.url - Deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorites\Spyware&Malware Protection.url - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\index.htm - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\images\capt.gif - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\images\danger.jpg - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\images\down.gif - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\images\spacer.gif - Deleted
C:\Program Files\AntiSpywareMaster\asm.exe - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\qnmargololr.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\dpevflbg.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\olgdqarf.exe - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\vadokmxt.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\wdpoefan.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\wxvgsdbq.exe - Deleted

Folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SalesMon - Removed
Folder C:\Program Files\AntiSpywareMaster - Removed
Folder C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger - Removed

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1353.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-04-27 20:50:33
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Photoshop Elements 4.0\\AdobePhotoshopElementsMediaServer.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Photoshop Elements 4.0\\AdobePhotoshopElementsMediaServer.exe:*:Disabled:Adobe Photoshop Elements Media Server"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AolCoach\\en_en\\player\\AOLNySEV.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AolCoach\\en_en\\player\\AOLNySEV.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\System Information\\sinf.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\System Information\\sinf.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\AOL Spyware Protection\\asp.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\AOL Spyware Protection\\asp.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\AOL Spyware Protection\\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\AOL Spyware Protection\\AOLSP Scheduler.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1163493104\\EE\\AOLServiceHost.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1163493104\\EE\\AOLServiceHost.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1163487505\\EE\\AOLServiceHost.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1163487505\\EE\\AOLServiceHost.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0c\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0c\\waol.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0b\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0b\\waol.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0a\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0a\\waol.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0\\waol.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\Loader\\aolload.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\Loader\\aolload.exe:*:Disabled:AOL Application Loader"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1163493104\\EE\\aolsoftware.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1163493104\\EE\\aolsoftware.exe:*:Disabled:AOL Shared Components"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\TopSpeed\\3.0\\aoltpsd3.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\TopSpeed\\3.0\\aoltpsd3.exe:*:Disabled:AOL TopSpeed"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\TopSpeed\\2.0\\aoltpspd.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\TopSpeed\\2.0\\aoltpspd.exe:*:Disabled:AOLTopSpeed"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\TopSpeed\\2.0\\aoltsmon.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\TopSpeed\\2.0\\aoltsmon.exe:*:Disabled:AOLTsMon"
"C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DISCover.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DISCover.exe:*:Disabled:DISCover Drop & Play System"
"C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\myFTP.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\myFTP.exe:*:Disabled:DISCover FTP"
"C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DiscStreamHub.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DiscStreamHub.exe:*:Disabled:DISCover Stream Hub"
"C:\\Program Files\\EarthLink TotalAccess\\TaskPanl.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\EarthLink TotalAccess\\TaskPanl.exe:*:Disabled:Earthlink"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe:*:Disabled:hpfccopy.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe:*:Disabled:hpoews01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe:*:Disabled:hpofxm08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe:*:Disabled:hposfx08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe:*:Disabled:hposid01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe:*:Disabled:hpqcopy.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe:*:Disabled:hpqdia.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe:*:Disabled:hpqkygrp.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqnrs08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqnrs08.exe:*:Disabled:hpqnrs08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe:*:Disabled:hpqphunl.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe:*:Disabled:hpqscnvw.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe:*:Disabled:hpqste08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe:*:Disabled:hpqtra08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe:*:Disabled:hpzwiz01.exe"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Disabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:Disabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Updates from HP\\9972322\\Program\\Updates from HP.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Updates from HP\\9972322\\Program\\Updates from HP.exe:*:Disabled:Updates from HP"
"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe:*:Disabled:Windows Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YServer.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YServer.exe:*:Disabled:Yahoo! FT Server"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe:*:Disabled:Yahoo! Messenger"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Updates from HP\\9972322\\Program\\Updates from HP.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Updates from HP\\9972322\\Program\\Updates from HP.exe:*:Enabled:Updates from HP"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"

Remaining Files :

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Tue 14 Nov 2006 211 A.SHR --- "C:\BOOT.BAK"
Tue 14 Nov 2006 6,714 A..H. --- "C:\temp\t4.bak"
Tue 14 Nov 2006 7,291 A..H. --- "C:\temp\t4.bak1"
Tue 14 Nov 2006 6,875 A..H. --- "C:\temp\t4.bak2"
Tue 14 Nov 2006 7,288 A..H. --- "C:\temp\t4.bak3"
Tue 14 Nov 2006 7,006 A..H. --- "C:\temp\t4.bak4"
Thu 9 Aug 2007 31 A..H. --- "C:\WINDOWS\uccspecc.sys"
Mon 28 Jan 2008 1,404,240 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe"
Mon 28 Jan 2008 5,146,448 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
Sun 29 Jul 2007 4,348 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Fri 13 Apr 2007 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv01.tmp"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 788,568 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\client.exe"
Wed 17 Aug 2005 13,459,528 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\NetscapeOnline\Netscape Tech\nsb-install-8-0.exe"
Wed 17 Aug 2005 233,472 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\NetscapeOnline\Netscape Tech\webutil8.exe"
Wed 17 Aug 2005 389,120 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\NetscapeOnline\Netscape Tech\WinsockFix.exe"
Wed 14 Dec 2005 200,704 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90\ACST4.DLL"
Tue 22 Nov 2005 81,920 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90\AOLFIREWALLMGR.DLL"
Tue 22 Nov 2005 73,728 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90\AOLINSTALLERFW.DLL"
Wed 14 Dec 2005 88,064 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90\INSTPH.DLL"
Wed 14 Dec 2005 200,704 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90E\ACST4.DLL"
Tue 22 Nov 2005 81,920 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90E\AOLFIREWALLMGR.DLL"
Tue 22 Nov 2005 73,728 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90E\AOLINSTALLERFW.DLL"
Wed 14 Dec 2005 88,064 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90E\INSTPH.DLL"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 77,824 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\acs\AcsInstN.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 6,961,146 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\acs\acsnet.zip"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 3,058,888 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\acs\acssetup.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 307,289 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\asp\aspcheck.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 7,083,361 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\asp\aspsetup.exe"
Wed 21 Sep 2005 1,960,296 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\autoit\autoit-v3.zip"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 550,488 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\deskbar\deskbr.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 553,984 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\flash\FlashAX.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 2,242,759 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\fw\nisale.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 24,064 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\fw\NISChk.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 57,344 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\ocp\ocpchk.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 748,728 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\ocp\ocpinst.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 7,515,304 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\qt\qt.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 86,016 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\qt\QTInsInf.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 45,056 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\rp\RealChk.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 5,111,296 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\rp\RealPl8.EXE"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 4,378,673 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\rp\real_upd.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 360,448 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\rp\rp9codec.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 40,960 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\sysinfo\SiNdInst.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 473,736 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\sysinfo\SinfInst.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 12,288 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\tb\tbinst.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 516,032 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\tb\tbsetup.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 597,080 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\toolbar\toolbr.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 590,688 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\tpspd\TSsetup.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 57,344 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\tpspd\tsverchk.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 49,152 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\vwpt\AOLVPChk.dll"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 61,440 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\vwpt\VPPrePop.exe"
Sun 18 Sep 2005 3,858,056 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Canada\KOL\comps\vwpt\Vwpt.exe"

Finished!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

Now please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Also let us know how your computer is running and if there are any more reports/signs of infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 NikiLynn

NikiLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

Everything seems to be running fine, I'm not getting the popups anymore, and my desktop background is back to normal, as well. Here is the MBAM Log....

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.11
Database version: 692

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 42838
Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 32 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 11
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{2f4f52ce-ce3e-4d72-82a3-2396212d6996} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{c26775d8-84f1-4439-9eb7-96a673007ee7} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{140121eb-7eb1-4e9e-ad89-ae2add1bd0ae} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{28f3628f-f077-4a71-aa35-0e38e183b6dc} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

#9 NikiLynn

NikiLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

Alright...I'm running the disk cleanup now. Thank you so much.

I mentioned earlier that my original issues started shortly after I started using Firefox. Is this coincidence? I have heard really good things about it, but I'm not going to use it again if it's going to put me at a greater risk....

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

Is this coincidence?

Probably so.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
"IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings".

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

AntiSpywareMaster 7.3, a clone of AntispywareDeluxe, is another corrupt anti-spyware parasite to surface the Web in late March 2008. Essentially, it is a fake program designed to steal $30-$50 from users who are gullible enough to download and install it.

Usuallly, AntiSpywareMaster 7.3 infects systems via misleading advertising on free download, warez and porn websites. Other methods of infection include trojans and browser security holes. AntiSpywareMaster 7.3 uses falsified scan results to intimidate you into buying the fake full version.

AntiSpywareMaster 7.3 is a malicious program and should not be downloaded or bought, and users should block antispywaremaster.com using their HOSTS file.

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antispywaremaster.html

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

to make firefox much more secure
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users