Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring WMA files to a new PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bennythebald

bennythebald

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

I hope someone out there may be able to help me with a small problem.

During the last 12 months, I have bought many singles and albums as WMA files from mycokemusic. I run these on a Win98 PC running WMP 7.0. Due to space limitations, I have moved them onto CD-RWs, and find that all is well when I move them back onto my hard disk. WMP7 doesn't seem to indicate details of the license provision for individual tracks as far as I can find. The Audio Codec is Windows Media Audio V7 96 kbps, 44kHz, stereo.

Recently I have bought a new XP machine running WMP 9. This can't play the music which I bought from mycokemusic. Under Properties-Licences all that is indicated is that licence back-up is not allowed. Under Audio Codec, nothing is indicated.

The following message is displayed when I attempt to play one of these tracks :

0xC00D1199: Cannot play the file

Could this be a license issue, or something to do with the codec ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

That is an interesting question. I have a few of my own.

Do you still have access to the W98 computer? If so, do you have another CD that you can re-burn them using a different setting?

Do you remember if you burned the CD as a music CD?

Can you play this CD in a regular cd player? Even a car cd player would show the same results.

Do you have a DVD player that you can test this CD on? If so, have you tried playing it and what was the results?

My initial thoughts are the CD was actually burned using shortcuts that lead back to the original location. You could probably verify this by putting the CD in your XP computer, and right-click one of the files. Select properties on this screen, and look at the size. If this is anything under 1 MB, it is very likely that all of these files are actually shortcuts leading back to the original location.

Using the W98 computer (if available), do a search for the file using the title's name as the portion you are looking for. Ex: if one of your music files is Phil Collins "Easy Lover", then do the search using Phil*, *Coll*, *easy*, or *Lover. When you find the correct music file from the search, right-click the search portion and select view -> details. This will show you the folder that it is located. You may want to write this down. Do a new search, but this time, double-click the 'look in' and type in the folder you just wrote down. Click search to show you all the music in this folder. Put in a blank CD in your CD drive, and highlight 10-12 songs, and right-click and select copy. Double-click your CD drive and select paste. When (or if) the option comes up asking if it is a data CD or music CD, select music.

Let me know if it works.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 bennythebald

bennythebald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 05:19 PM

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Well, maybe the CD part was a bit of a red herring. I created the CD-RW by simply dragging and dropping in Explorer, so there is no option for Music or Data (or for finalising). When I try to view the CD in my XP machine, I get a blue-screen crash. This is another story - I think the problem here is that I didn't finalise the CD on the old machine first (I haven't figured out how to do this yet). Maybe I should have burnt the discs using Nero if I wanted to finalise them, but frustratingly Nero isn't working for me for some reason.

I gave up on the CD route, and instead transferred the files using a memory stick. I guess this is just the same as using a CD, right ? Sorry for confusing the issue: I was forgetting this when I posted.

The files apparently copy over fine to the XP machine via the memory stick, and are several MB file sizes.

I'm thinking of moving the old hard drive and CD-RW drive into the new PC to make life a bit simpler.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:11 PM

It is quite ironic that I suggested a USB drive earlier for transferring files from one computer to another. It is much easier. When you are ready to look at this again, just ask :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users