Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emergency Travel Kit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:16 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question,but....

If I was to compile a CD containing various software to help out friends and family who have a knackered computer what would your suggestion be?

I appreciate that this may be a strange question for a newbie but I learn fast especially if there is the offer of a beer at the end of it.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:35 AM

Thats actually a great question!

Allow me to tell you that it would be much easier to have USB drives instead. With these, it is easier to rewrite to them with more current versions of software as it becomes available. They may be a little more expensive, but at least you can re-use them many times. In the case that you would like to use CDs, I would recommend that you get the CD-RWs. They may be a little harder to find, but the price is often the same. Just like the USB drives, the CD-RWs can be written to many times.

The programs that I have on my USB drive for cleaning purposes are:

Spybot - Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware
EVEREST Home Edition
Firefox
Avast

Allow me to explain these in more detail and why I use these for cleaning purposes.

Spybot S&D and Adware to get rid of all traces of 'junkware' which includes spyware, adware, and others.

Everest Home is a great tool to basically tell me what is inside the computer, without having to open it up. It is helpful in the case that they want to increase their RAM (it will tell me what kind they have, the max allowed, and how many open slots), what type of open expansion slots they have, among a wide variety of other things.

Firefox is an alternate to IE. If they are having internet problems, and IE does not work, but Firefox does, then it assists with eliminating possibilities.

Avast is a virus scanner. One of the best that I have found.

The best thing about all of the programs is that they are 100% free. Free to d/l and upgrade, with no trial periods. The links provided go to the site for d/l, but if you would like a longer list of other available software for free, take a look here
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 01:41 PM

To the list above, I would add a firewall, such as Sygate Personal Firewall, which is free.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 The Gorilla

The Gorilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the response. I have already download the software suggested and I am currently look for a usb pen device.

I must admit I would never of thought of using such a device. :thumbsup:

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:16 PM

You might want to also add:

Spywareblaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place

aČ Free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:09 AM

If you want a CD to clean the PC's of infection, I'd download the Ultimate BootCD 4 Windows which has various tools included to rescue a PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users