Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Not Working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 XQuintessenceX

XQuintessenceX

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Windows Update. Every time it tries to download something new, it always states that it's "unsuccessful". Also, I tried installing Windows Live Messenger today but that was also unsuccessful, and I know that it uses the Windows Update service to do so. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hello and welcome to BC.
Are you installing the updates on the internet or from your automatic Updates?

Edited by extremeboy, 27 April 2008 - 07:01 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

One of these may be useful:

Error 0x80072EE2, et alia Windows or MS Update - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941

Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Windows - Automatic Updates Amset.info - http://amset.info/windows/auto-updates.asp

Louis

#4 XQuintessenceX

XQuintessenceX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:33 PM

It won't let me install them either way, it just says that they fail to download when I use the automatic update service and when I do it on the internet, it says that it can't find the files or they aren't registered. I tried doing the things in the link but they don't seem to work. What I did notice though is that I don't have a Windows Update folder in general on my computer, not even after I click Show Hidden Files.

EDIT: Okay, the folder appears now after re-registering the Windows Update files on their website, but there's nothing in the folder.

Edited by XQuintessenceX, 27 April 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

Did you change anything or install any new software right before this problem started?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 XQuintessenceX

XQuintessenceX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

Not that I know of. The only thing I can think of is that this problem seemed to have started happening around the time I changed my router.

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

Hi,
I had this promblem too. It's still not fixed yet, because there's nothing very crucial to download so I didn't mind.
Anyways when you shutdown your computer, there's a option that says shut down and install updates try that because that's how I install all my updates because I can't install it from the Interenet or from the automatic update center.

Edited by extremeboy, 27 April 2008 - 08:08 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 XQuintessenceX

XQuintessenceX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

I could do that but it still wouldn't fix the Windows Live Messenger problem I'm having, considering it uses the Live Update service to install it, apparently.

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hi,
Can you give us some more details on your WLM promblem.
Give us so more feedback such as what happens when you try installing Windows Live Messenger does an error message occur?

#10 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

You may try this if you have not tried it already:
  • Go to Internet Options:
    • Under General tab empty your IE cache (all Internet temporary files, history and cookies)
    • Make sure your privacy and security setting is set to default. To do that under privacy tab press default and under security tab press default.
    • Under privacy tab click on Sites button, then click on Remove all and then OK to clear all the restricted sites. (If you use SpywareBlaster you have to re-enable it again to add the bad sites restriction again.)
  • Download Dial-a-fix from djlizard.net

To repair problems with your system:
    Unzip the file and double click Dial-a-fix.exe to start the program.
    Press double green check mark - "Check all"- to turn everything on.
    Press "GO" to start processing all check marked items.
    REBOOT your computer afterwards, important.

• Now try to update windows.

#11 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

I guess you visited here.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...ror=-2146827859

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users