Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Not Recognize Cd Drive Or Internet Connection Device

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alpad

alpad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

AT first it was the psu ... replaced, then CD drive wouldn't open.. so I had one that was good here and put it in ... all was good. we moved and then the darn CD drive opened, but didn't do anything with the CD I put in ... AND ... didn't show as a component on "My Computer" either!! I have opened and detached all three connections (power supply, ribbon that connects to the CPU board and the small 3 wires in a small grey tube that connects to the motherboard(?) I have tried using the slave connection on the ribbon, leaving the Master hanging and it makes no difference. I don't see any snags in the ribbons.

Then on Thurs, whne my daughter tried to connect to the internet (Yes, dial-up.)it made 15 tries in like 10 secs and said, " the connection device assigned to this access # or connection was not found."

Well, where would you suggest I begin?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

Open Device Manager and expand all of the +'s. Look for any yellow exclamation points. This should point out the problem devices that we need to look at
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Device Manager: yellow ! is on: Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

and yellow ?s are on: Other devices
and PCI Universal Serial Bus

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a CD containing drivers for the system?

Louis

#5 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:06 AM

Win Me ... HP pavilion XE744

(I can't find my original messages with all the details about it! You'd think "My Topics" would be able to retreive everything.)

Thanks

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:21 AM

Try attaching the CD drive to the master end of the IDE cable and make sure that the jumper on the rear of the drive is set to master.

Are you using a router?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

Sorry guys .. I don't know what a jumper or router looks like ... is the jumper the smaller group of three wires that link the CD drive to the CPU? If so, they appear to be securely in place and the CPU end is on real well.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

When you change the master/slave cable positions, you must also change a small plastic jumper on the back of the device. Next to where the other cables plug into the back, you will see a double row of 4 or 5 pins : : : : With a jumper over 2 of the pins. There should be a label on the device to show the correct orientation.

Device Manager: yellow ! is on: Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

That's not good. That's why it was asked if you have CD with the drivers on it, but we should be able to work with that.

(I can't find my original messages with all the details about it! You'd think "My Topics" would be able to retreive everything.)

Actually there's a place in Your Controls> Profile to post that info
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users