Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Defender

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:35 AM

My mums got Vista and Ive installed the AVG virus software for her, trouble is it clashes with Vista's own Defender virus app. How do I turn Defender off within Vista? I only have XP myself so dont know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

Turn Windows Defender on or off

When Windows Defender is on, you will be alerted when spyware and other potentially unwanted software tries to install itself, run on your computer, or change important Windows settings. If you use the default settings, Windows Defender will also check for new definitions, regularly scan for spyware and other potentially unwanted software, and automatically remove any malicious software that it finds.

1. Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Defender.

2. Click Tools, and then click Options.

3. Under Administrator options, select or clear the Use Windows Defender check box, and then click Save. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Additional information available through the link above about Windows Defender for VISTA.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

Many thanks, thats easy enough!!! :huh:

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

hi 8-bit,,,,, do you mean you have installed AVG anti-virus,,,,,, if so then you dont have a clash of 2 anti-virus programs as win def is an anti-spyware program which is totaly diferant thing altogether,,,,, but i would still switch it of as its crap and all it dose is spy on you,,,, try downloading another anti-spyware program like SuperantiSpyware which has a free version or a payed for version that run's an active gaurd.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

Ok thanks although when I installed AVG i did get a message saying that there was a virus killer already installed so I immediately suspected Defender. I really dont know what other program it could be as I completely removed all the Norton stuff. (??)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users