Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 4600 Sound Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 owfx

owfx

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:28 AM

hi i have a dell dimension with a built in soundcard to the mobo. it is hooked up to my 5.1 speakers and until recently it has been working well. now after using for a while the speakers make a loud unberable high pitched niose and i am forced to turn them off. it only happens when the computer is turned on so its obviously something wrong with the sound device or the drivers. tried reinstalling drivers think they were right ones but the same sound still comes. any ideas? thanks owfx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:55 AM

Something could be wrong internally. Any chance of trying another set of speakers or headphones? Is this just on music CD's or also streaming audio? Have you move anything around recently that could cause interference? Double check your settings in the volume control panel and in sound properties
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 owfx

owfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

its not the speakers its the hardware tried other speakers its all the time even when not playing audio but whenever i put the volume on mute on the pc (volume controls) the sound stops so its obviously an internal hardware or driver software error because when i uninstall the drivers it stops but when i reinstall it starts the noise again :S

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

Well, when you remove the driver, you're basically shutting it off. If the onboard chip is bad, you can always remove it from the system and buy a soundcard. What's the model number of the Dimension? Let me look around to see if there are any patches
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 owfx

owfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

4600 is the model number i have the latest drivers cant find any patches S: i think its just suffering from old age or maybe a slight problem with the software

im considering buying a new soundcard, a 5.1 one. do you have any reccomendations? or just buy anyone?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

I've always used Sound Blaster with no problems
Mark
Posted Image

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

Some options at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....01&name=5.1

IMO, any soundcard is likely to be at least as good as onboard sound, with less stress on the CPU for performance. And I find onboard sound to be sufficient for me :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users