Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ke5ehz

ke5ehz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:29 AM

Ok, so I have a Dell 8400 Dimension, a few years old. It has the Pentium 4, and its really not enough to handle vista. So I bought a core2quad Q6600, and a MSI mobo. However, when I swapped everything, I couldn't start windows or even load the drivers for the mobo. Is there some way I can complete this swap without losing all of my data. I tried to boot from the Vista cd; however, since i cant start from windows, it wont let me upgrade, it only gives me the option to do a full install. The only problem with this is i have a few programs that i dont have the cd's for. Is there any way I can save these programs somehow. Or is there a way I can complete this install without losing everything. I greatly appreciate any help on this. Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

Install the hard drive in a working computer as a slave and back up all your programs. The problem that may arise is if the cd you have is for the dell. Is the Vista cd a full version or the restore cd for the dell?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 ke5ehz

ke5ehz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

Install the hard drive in a working computer as a slave and back up all your programs. The problem that may arise is if the cd you have is for the dell. Is the Vista cd a full version or the restore cd for the dell?

Its the full version

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:21 AM

The following is an excerpt from this article.

Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's* knowledge base article . This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

You could try doing a repair installation of the XP, you might get lucky.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

I remember when upgrading my computer to vista, it wouldn't let me do the upgrade feature, all I could do was full install. I did that and it made a folder called Windows.old. It kept everything from my windows xp install, even the windows xp files. A few programs didn't work though, but all my documents were still there and files. I don't exactly remember how I did it, so I can't really tell you how to do it. As long as it doesn't format your hard drive, I don't see why it would wipe your files and programs unless you tell it to.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users