Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tci

tci

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

I have a problem with my hard drive, I have an 18 GB hard drive on my computer. My parents got a new hard drive for their computer so I took their old 9 GB hard drive and attempted to install this in my computer in order to have extra space. My problem is that when I use my original drive as the boot drive either alone or with the extra drive installed the computer will not load. All that comes up is a black screen with a cursor blinking and it does not go any further than that. I can use the 9 GB hard drive as the boot drive with the 18 GB drive as extra storage but I had my username password protected as System Administrator and now I can not access files I had on that drive because of the password protection.

Can anyone help me figure out either how to get around this password protection and retrieve my files or else help me figure out how to get my original hard drive to work?

Any assistance anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks All,

Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:33 PM

Anthony, this may be an issue with master and slave drives on the same IDE channel. I assume they are IDE drives? These use a broad flat cable usually grey.
You probably also have at least one CDROM drive in your system. So when you connect up the two hard drives are they both on the same cable? Or is one sharing a cable with the CDROM?

If they are both on the same cable and it is an old style cable (all the plugs are the same colour) then one drive must have the jumpers set to master (the one you want to boot from) and the other must be jumpered as a slave. There should be a diagram on the drive label how to do this.

If it is a new style cable having black, grey and blue plugs (or other differing colours) then both drives must have their jumpers set to "cable select" and the boot drive is determined by which colour plug it is connected to.. (the blue plug always goes to the motherboard though).

If the second drive shares a cable with the CDROM then the master/slave situation applies, check the back of the CDROM to see which type it is set as and set the hard drive to the other type.

On the other hand if you can't get your original drive to boot even when on its own, in its original location, there may be something more complex going on.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:13 AM

Chances are you've messed up your BIOS. The BIOS usually has to find the drive for it to work. Depending on which type of BIOS you have, you probably need to enter it and have it search for both the primary and secondary drives. If you want your computer to boot from your old drive, the jumper should be set to master and the drive should be at the end of the IDE cable, assuming it's an IDE drive. The secondary drive should be set to slave if it's on the same cable.

After you hook up a new drive, you usually need to enter the BIOS and tell it to search for a primary drive, then a secondary drive, then once it finds them, save the settings. Getting into the BIOS can be tricky depending on the type of machine. Compaq, for instance, has a very weird BIOS - in a tiny HD partition, I think. Acer is entered by hitting ctrl-alt-del at the right point in the bootup, right after the splash screen. Many computers use the Del key, some use F2. If you have a book check it out. If not, find out what your BIOS or motherboard or computer brand is, and look it up with Google.

#4 tci

tci
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 06:40 PM

It is an IDE drive and I have them both hooked up on the same cable. It is one of the new cables with the different colors. But I have no clue how to change the jumpers, I have never done that before and hadn't even heard of them until I tried to set this up. The only internal work I had done before on my computer was switching my old CD-RW drive to a combo DVD/CD-RW drive. And when I did that all I did was unplug the old one and plug the new one in the exact same way and it worked. So it could be something I did to the jumper, but if it is a BIOS problem, what do I do once I get into it if I can figure out how to enter BIOS?

I'd be fine leaving the smaller drive as the boot drive and just using my old drive for extra storage if I could just access all my files.

Anthony

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:38 PM

Ok both drives on the same cable, with your cable you need to set them both to 'cable select'. For full information how to do this you should look on the drive labels for the manufacturers name and model number, then visit their websites and search for "jumper settings" or "configuring drive settings" or similar for that drive. For example if they are Seagate drives the settings are at:
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/ref...r_settings.html

The jumpers are just a small plastic coated link which sits across two pins in a group of eight found between the power connector and the IDE connector on your hard drive. The pins look like this (::::). There will probably be a jumper on the pair closest to the IDE cable on both drives, like this (|:::). If they are like Seagate drives you need to pull out the jumper with a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers, being really careful not to loose it, and push it back onto the second pair of pins like this (:|::). Then connect your boot drive to the (black) connector at the end of the cable and connect your data drive to the (grey) middle cable. Different manufacturers may have different positions for cable select so you need to check.

You wont cause any problems if you get it wrong, your system just will not boot.

Edited by Rimmer, 27 March 2005 - 09:39 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users