Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pesh

pesh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:17 AM

problem areas:IE,task manager,registry

hi to one and all,
first of all thanks to all of u for taking great pain in helping ppl...
i had this problem:: G.O.D internet explorer instead of normal internet explorer(IE7), unable to open task mngr,registry...
based upon reccomendations i hv used "ComboFix" but nothing seems working::
also there r multiple instanse of SVCHOST.EXE running in process list.
is it a threat...? if yes how to get rid of this...
thanks and regard.

Edited by pesh, 27 April 2008 - 02:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:53 PM

Hello
Is this an XP ,PC...
How many svchost.exe do you have ? I have 7 running at the moment. Multiple instances of it are usually running.
Typical location: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
NOTE: are they puctuated and spelled exactly as this one?
You can also read this MSFT article .. A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP

Sorry I'm not familiar with this. Couuld you provide more informaton on it?

G.O.D. internet explorer

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

based upon reccomendations i hv used "ComboFix" but nothing seems working

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) and can run other services underneath itself. This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. It runs from the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost where details of the services running under each instance of svchost.exe can be found. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load.

As boopme said, it is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time in Task manager in order to optimize the running of the various services.

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging. The process ID's (PID's) are not static and can change with each logon but generally they stay nearly the same because they are running services all the time. The PID's must be checked in real time to determine what services each instance of svchost.exe is controlling at that particular time.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file like svchost.exe. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. In XP, the legitimate Svchost.exe file is located in your C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder.

Other legitimate copies can be found in the following folders:
C:\I386
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\SVCHOST.EXE-3530F672.pf

If svchost.exe is running as a startup (shows in msconfig), it can be bad as shown here and here. Make sure the spelling is correct. If it is scvhost.exe], then your dealing with a Trojan.

There are several ways to investigate svchost.exe and related processes. First, see "How to determine what services are running under a Svchost.exe process".

You can download and use Proces Explorer or System Explorer to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

If you have XP Pro, you can use Tasklist /SVC to view the list of services processes that are running in Svchost. The /SVC switch shows the list of active services in each process.

Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
press Ok
At the command prompt type: tasklist /svc >c:\taskList.txt
press Enter

Go to Start > Run and type: C:\taskList.txt
press Ok to view the list of processes

For help and syntax information, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
tasklist /?
Also see Syntax options and Tasklist Syntax.

You can also use the WMI command-line utility to view and list processes.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
press Ok
At the command prompt type:
WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\ProcessList.txt PROCESS get Caption,Commandline,Processid
press Enter.

or type:
WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\ProcessList.txt path win32_process get Caption,Processid,Commandline
press Enter.

Go to Start > Run and type: C:\ProcessList.txt
press Ok to view the details of all the processes.

You can search the process name using Google or BC's File Database.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users