Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy Dirt Cheap, Or Build?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TempleCat

TempleCat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

I haven`t built a computer yet, have been shopping and considering though. My question arises from my past experiences with computers. Over the past ten years, I`ve had three computers, numerous internet providers, and feel I`ve been screwed by providers, manufacturers (by spending money keeping or repairing to keep my great PC`s going:), and spending all night on the phone on hold, so I can speak to someone I can`t understand. You see, I`m sick of spending my hard earned $$$$ on bound-to-be junk products. so the question is- Do I do extensive research and build my own PC so it`s fast AND long lasting, or do I just spend $289.00 at Wally-World on a cheap system, knowing it`s gonna start sucking in 3 or 4 months ? Any help will be appreciated! By the way, I`m not a gamer, just a hardcore Web Surfer who doesn`t want to spend all night waiting for a site to come up, or for my PC to decide to do what it`s told. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post, just wanted to get it all straight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:16 PM

Honestly i was sick of buying new computers that were all ready out of date as soon as you take them out of the box. i just got done building my first computer and i will never buy a name brand computer again. I feel its 100% worth it to do research and build your own.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

When you build your own:
  • You choose the components you want/need to install.
  • You get a better understanding of what the parts do, and how they interact with each other. (from doing all of the research)
  • You'll probably pay less, or the same, for better components.
  • No system warranty, but individual parts warranties.
  • No "Help Line" to call for assistance. (but you have Bleeping Computer)
  • Bragging rights. :thumbsup:
When you buy pre-assembled:
  • You get the components someone else thinks you want/need.
  • Generally, premium components are overpriced.
  • A system warranty. (which sometime, isn't as long as the individual component warranties)
  • A "Help Line" to call, for assistance. (and I use that term, loosely :huh:)

Edited by tg1911, 26 April 2008 - 11:33 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:57 PM

there's also the factor of having your own windows disk and no pre-installed crapware, a chance to make a data partition,
the experience to be able to reload windows or run a repair disk easily and so forth

and you know exactly what you are getting, a factory built one doesn't let you know that big hard drive is the slowest they could find, the ram the lamest available?
pig in a poke
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

You used the right word, Research. Just try not to keep the price down so low that you buy less than desired parts
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users