Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Choice

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:12 PM

I'm putting together a new build. I figured I might as well get used to Vista. I've never paid much attention to CPU's, usually buying middle of the road AMD. What I do isn't taxing at all, but I might do a few games on the new one. With a budget of $200, what do you people suggest for a processor?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

I'd suggest for the price going with the E8400. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115037 . It's a great buy for $200, having 45nm, 3.0ghz, 6mb L2 cache, and 1333mhz fsb. Or for 10$ less you could get the 8200 which runs at 2.66ghz. I think the E8400 is a better deal though.

Also, they just recently dropped the prices on many Intel models, including the quad cores. If you are willing to go up to $220, you could get a Q6600. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115017 . For what your doing, a Quad Core might be a bit of overkill though.

I don't really know much about AMD CPU's, but if you are willing to spend 200$ for a processor, might as well go with Intel. I read the phenoms aren't that great, especially since Intel has the Q6600 at $220, which is quite better. The tri-core AMD's came out though and they are priced pretty nicely. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....;name=Phenom+X3.I don't know how good they are, but one thing to take into consideration is that they are quad core phenoms that one of the cores died on. I'm sure AMD probably tests the other cores to make sure they are functioning correctly, but you never know :thumbsup: . I still think it's a really good idea though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

+1 on the 8400
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

Got an old slot A Athlon that I'd let got cheap. :huh:

:thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

I'm going to take my time. First I have to see if the wife was really serious. Probably buy it piecemeal so she doesn't see one big bill :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103194

get a good hsf, mobo and power supply
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

I'm going with a Seasonic PS. I've had good luck using them on builds for other people I haven't made my mind up on a mobo, yet. Kind of leaning towards an ABIT
Mark
Posted Image

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

Those seasonics are used a lot by the overclockers and dvd burner reviewers/testers, nice choice

:huh:

I doubt the wife would understand tho

:thumbsup:
Chewy

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

SHHH! What she doesn't know.... :huh:
I figure I can hide a bunch of small boxes rather than one big box :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

SHHH! What she doesn't know.... :huh:
I figure I can hide a bunch of small boxes rather than one big box :thumbsup:

If you do go with amd or decide to overclock a core2duo, try to get low cas high performance memory so the ram won't bottleneck the cpu on intensive processing operations and then that your motherboard will support the higher ram voltages required

The nvidia mid level video cards with the 8800 and new 9600 chipsets are pushing last years highend cards for performance
and capable of running even the most demanding games at lower level settings
Chewy

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

Ordered the first round of parts: Went with the AMD and a Zalman heatsink, the power supply and for the first time in my life I actually bought a case. I've always wanted a Lian Li, so I bit the bullet
Mark
Posted Image

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

I don't forsee those parts coming down in price much if any in the next few weeks, I would get the ram next tho I can't see it getting much cheaper and it might just get a lot more expensive, it's going to start to bother you not having it all together.

Do you have a large doghouse?
Chewy

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:33 PM

Do you have a large doghouse?

It's called my garage. Luckily UPS gets here early and I can hide all the stuff in there before she gets home. Besides, I have the mother-in-law living with us and she likes me. I can get her to run interference :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

Well, the final pieces, I think.
Abit mobo
Crucial Ballistic
I'm 95% positive I'm going with this video card
MSI/nvidia
Mark
Posted Image

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148076
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users