Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I Add Ram; 64-bit Vista Freezes And Won't Turn Off.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Catherine_CJD

Catherine_CJD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

I hope someone can help me - and THANKS in advance for reading this!

I have a shiny new gaming machine (well, it's 4 month old now, but still very shiny!) It's a custom built PC from CyberPower.com - who's tech help is somewhat less than helpful (hence this post...)

Here's what's under the hood:
500GB SATA II Single hard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0Ghz 1333FSB CPUs
Asus P5N-E 650i SLI Motherboard
Corsair XMS2 Xtreme DDR2/800 RAM - 4 Gb (2X2Gb sticks) PLUS another matching 4 Gigs (see the 'problem' below)
2 NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 512MB Video Cards
64-bit Vista Home Basic with SP1
Thermaltake 750W PSU
Thermaltake MaxOrb Cooling Fan
plus an extra case exhaust fan (temp never goes over 86)

Background:
I play the Sims 2 with ALL EPs and SPs and TONS (80,000+) of custom created downloads. I kept getting Access Violation errors, and my game would crash. I was told I needed even more memory to handle all my downloads... so I bought another 4 Gb from NewEgg earlier this week. I've already heard that the Sims won't use my new mega-memory. I wanted more memory anyway because I also do a lot of work with Photoshop and run my own website: www.CatherinesJewelryDesign.com. So, I really don't want to send it back. It's supposed to work with my system and I want it to work! :huh:

Here's the problem:
After I install the other 4 Gb of RAM, Vista keeps freezing every half hour or so. It doesn't matter what I'm doing - it is completely random. And the only thing I can do is push the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off. When I take the new RAM out, my PC works great again.

Here's what I've done so far, in order:
I know I installed the new sticks right - I followed the package directions to the letter.
I tried changing the paging file size, but after it crashed I set it back to auto for now.
Swaped out the sticks to be sure they work, and aren't duds. They're fine.
I tried running just 2 sticks in the 'B' slots, but that didn't work at all - I think it's not designed to, but I wasn't sure.
I asked for help on MicrosoftTechNet - http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...D=17&mode=1
I updated the BIOS yesterday to version 0901 (it was 0801) - and all seems fine; my anxiety level went through the roof during the proceedure, but all is well now. Well, except, Vista still crashes with all 8 Gigs installed.
When rebooting with all 4 sticks in, it finds the memory: 8192 installed, 8191 useable
All the memory sticks are exactly the same EXCEPT the original sticks are 5-5-5-12, and the new ones are 5-5-5-18. I read somewhere that this shouldn't make any difference. All the sticks are Corsair Xtreme with Heat Spreaders: CM2X2048 - 6400C5 (1.90V ver3.1; 800MHz)
Today, I did Vista's built in Memory Diagnostic tool (I found out about it from C-Net) and it checked all 4 sticks - it says there's no problem with any of them.
I also ran the CPU-Z gizmo that I found out about here - it shows each stick of RAMs "stuff" as being exactly the same as far as the 5-5-5-12/18 numbers go. It also said all their voltages were 1.80 (the stick itself says 1.90) I don't know if this means anything or not. I validated, but did not publish the report. So, I can send it to you if you need it?
After that I was up and running with all 4 sticks (8Gigs) - but then it crashed again after 45 minutes...
... which brings me here to ask for your help :huh:

Do you think the new RAM is at fault - or is there some setting I need to change? I really am not technically inclined ...some may even say I was 'challenged' in this area... This is rocket science! At least, it feels like it to me!

Thank you for thinking with me!
Catherine

Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

Quite a number of programs do not support 64 bit windows.

Windows Vista Home Basic is the edition of Windows for basic home computing needs. If you only want to use your PC for tasks like browsing the Internet, using e-mail, or viewing photos, then Windows Vista Home Basic may be the right edition for you. While it won't provide as many benefits as Windows Vista Home Premium, it will help you use your PC more easily and more safely than you could with Windows XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ic/default.mspx

It may be just me, but I think I would have chosen a better OS than Vista Basic for what you want your computer to do.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Catherine_CJD

Catherine_CJD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

Well, it seems to be fixed now... I've been running on all 8 Gigs for an hour and 45 minutes. :huh:
I found this article and followed everything it said:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=200...SLanguage=en-us
It's the 4th post down, by CJ.
Whew!
:beer:

Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

Spoiler

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

I also ran the CPU-Z gizmo that I found out about here - it shows each stick of RAMs "stuff" as being exactly the same as far as the 5-5-5-12/18 numbers go. It also said all their voltages were 1.80 (the stick itself says 1.90) I don't know if this means anything or not.

it took me about 30 seconds to catch this, with 4 sticks the available power seems to drop
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users