Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Launch Applications (virus Suspected)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis123

Curtis123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hello All-
New member to the forum, but I'd like to see if I can tackle this from home.
My PC running XP was recently infected with the 'Wallpaper - you computer...', which was then cleaned by the shop that built my machine. As of today, AVG 'blocked' (3) .exe files that were trying to establish outside connection. I had a session of IE running at the time, and I can create new windows of IE, but cannot launch any other applications. The popup 'windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' appears after attempting to launch any program.

I have Hijackthis installed from my previous attmept. Any advice?
Thanks,
Curtis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:40 AM

Hi; it would be useful to know what other tools apart from avg you have on there ,when you last fully iupdated them and ran them all on full deep scans in safe mode?

and what 'previous attempt' are you discussing with having the HJT diagnostic tool on there?

how long ago was the machine 'cleaned '?

#3 Curtis123

Curtis123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:55 PM

Internet error closed IE, and now no apps can be launched. I'm writing this from my work computer.
The computer was 'Cleaned' about two weeks ago after it's first virus/malware. I'm thinking I'll have to take it in to have it professionally cleaned as I can't launch IE to download the newest HijackThis etc.
Unless there is an easy way to restore privileges and run is safe mode, I'll probably close the thread and try to fix it myself next time.

thanks,

Curtis

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

sounds as though matters are deteriorating? as if something has gotten hold of it?

you may wish TO take it back to the place where it was built for a revamp and reinstallation?

have you tried another browser on it ? or will it not let you do even that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users