Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopped before starting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dirtyliar

dirtyliar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:21 PM

I have an old "assembled from junk" computer that I let the kids play with - running win98. I've had all the usual problems and managed to solve them, but this time I'm really stumped. We lost electricity during a thunderstorm and when I turned the old thing back on it goes straight to a password request. Not your usual box with blank spaces, either, just a black screen and a blinking colon - after three tries the system halts. This is on a machine on which I've never used a password! I can't even bypass Windows and get to the DOS prompt - I know I've read about ways to bypass this, but I'm an XP gal now and I've forgotten more than I care to admit. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:09 PM

Greetings

Is it possible this is a password that allows you to go into the CMOS setup for the computer? When you mentioned black screen, that was the first thing that popped into my mind. I have Compaq/HP's that do that very thing... they give you three tries... when you guess wrong it displays a broken key. The power blip may have corrupted something in system settings.

If that isn't it, there is a password area found in the win.ini, or system.ini file in the Windows ( C:\windows) subdirectory. Sorry I can't tell you exactly which one... don't have a 98 box in front of me.

Hope this helps....

Rigel

Edited by rigelslight, 26 March 2005 - 10:10 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:50 PM

Not your usual box with blank spaces, either, just a black screen and a blinking colon - after three tries the system halts.

This really does sound like a CMOS problem. Some machines have a jumper on the motherboard to reset the CMOS or password.

You might try checking out This Site for some tips involving default passwords for various CMOS settings.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:40 PM

You may want to reset the CMOS settings on your computer. But first! go into cmos settings and document your settings, especially hard drive settings. (Most computers have a hard drive auto detect, but some of the olders ones need cylinder, and heads settings.)

CAUTION... Please make sure your computer is UNPLUGGED, 2) touch the metal portion of the case before you touch the system board so you don't static zap it.

This will remove a password if that is what is causing the problem. Open the computer and carefully remove the battery. OR, if you can visibally see a jumper that says CMOS RESET or something very close, move the jumper to clear cmos (for a few seconds ) and then >>>move it back<<<.

I hope this helps. One final word. If you don't feel comfortable working inside the computer, let a friend that knows computers do this for you - or a reputable computer shop.

Good luck!
Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users