Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A Strange Sound?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

Hello everyone,

When I am on the internet, Sometimes I here what sounds like a bird whistling. I do not know if this is part of an anti-virus program,pop-up blocker or one of the personal sounds for the IM environments on AOL? I tried looking in McAfee on my computer but could not find anything. Sameway with the AOL I look to see if there might be something about that sound there but nothing. So that is why I think it might be a personal sound for the IM enviroment on AOL. But I am not 100% sure. If anyone has any ideas on what this is, could you please let me know. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

Popup blockers usually have a bloop or sound. But to rule out the blocker as a cause, check the settings. Turn off sounds.

My first instinct is that it's coming from your AOL. When you checked the sound settings, did you check Do not play any sounds under all the categories? If not, try checking that option, see if the bird call stops.

One of your buddys may have what AIM calls an expression that sounds like a bird whistling.
When that person signs on to or leaves AIM, you could hear that sound if you have Play the Expressions Buddy Sound of any user checked.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 April 2008 - 02:09 PM.

#3 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

Queen-Evie may be right.

AOL has customized sounds for email receiving, IMing, and whatnot.

Check that you turned of the AOL customized sounds.

Its also AIM Expression, you can turn them off by going to Options>Expressions> then untick 'make sounds when receiving/sending IMs'.

#4 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hello everyone!

It think it was the AOL. I turned off the customized IM sounds and so far I have not heard it! So I think that was it! I thank you for your help!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

I'm glad you got the issue resolved. It is annoying when you don't know where a sound is coming from. My first computer was a laptop-we didn't have seperate user accounts on it. The computer stayed on during the day, and I would hear a moo sound. Drove me crazy for a few days. Finally investigated and found it was a sound on AIM, which my daughter used and left running when she left for school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users