Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching Firewalls (?)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

After reading a couple of reviews and articles, I'm thinking of switching fro ZoneAlarm to Comodo for firewall protection. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried both and can give me a comparison. Or, if you currently are using Comodo, how satisfactory is it?

I'm not a newbie, so if some technical knowledge may be required to use Comodo, I have the knowledge. (That sounds pretty egotistical, eh? Not meant to be - simply a fact.) :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

I'm on Comodo now after switching from Zone Alarm like 3-4 months ago. I am just checking it out after being stuck with Zone Alarm for some time. I am sort of exploring. So far, it looks okay to me. Haven't had any issues with it and I can't say whether it is really better than Zone Alarm in terms of security, but I can say I'm quite satisfied with it...

#3 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

While you're checking the other one, disable the Firewall you're not using. Firewall's don't play well together and could compromise the protection you had only running one Firewall.

I have always had ZA, first tried the free version many years ago. At the time there were few Firewalls that controlled outbound traffic. I was a satified customer of the free version and upgraded to ZA Pro. I haven't been compromised at all, a few miscellaneous things, but nothing to even warrent posting an HJT Log. I do go to the seamy side of the internet from time to time, very careful about what I click on.

ZA Pro has always protected me, I wouldn't switch, but that doesn't mean there aren't alternatives. Whichever one you end up deciding on, only run one at a time, even if both are on your computer.
Steve

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:43 AM

While you're checking the other one, disable the Firewall you're not using. Firewall's don't play well together and could compromise the protection you had only running one Firewall.

I believe this advice is directed at me...

If so, I am sure I said "I'm on Comodo now after switching from Zone Alarm like 3-4 months ago", which means I am running Comodo ONLY now after previously been using Zone Alarm.

Regards,
Juha

Edited by Juha, 27 April 2008 - 10:44 AM.

#5 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

Juha,

My comments were not directed at you, they were in reference to MattV. He indicates he is looking at other Firewalls and possibly making a change to something else.

I am sure I said "I'm on Comodo now after switching from Zone Alarm like 3-4 months ago", which means I am running Comodo ONLY now after previously been using Zone Alarm.

You did say that, and I saw it. My comments about running two Firewalls at the same time were to the original poster, MattV. He sounds knowledgable about such things and probably will disable, or even uninstall ZA while testing other Firewalls. Just a little friendly advice, we all forget stuff sometimes.
Your comment about switching 3-4 months ago tells me you have made your decision, and have probably uninstalled ZA by now.
Steve

#6 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for the clarification... and the friendly advice.

Yeah, I don't have ZA installed- It's gone!

And I am sure MattV would either disable one of the firewalls or completely uninstall Zone Alarm in case he decided to settle with Comodo.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

Each of the two firewalls has certain benefits and drawbacks, at least from a user point of view; thankfully, each does a good job in providing protection. If you like Z/A and understand how to use it, MattV, I don't see a point in changing.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

Juha,

My comments were not directed at you, they were in reference to MattV.

Did you miss where I said "I'm not a newbie"? I asked a question, I didn't say I don't know what I'm doing.

#9 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:59 AM

I've used ZA but now use Comodo.
Don't get me wrong, ZA is a good firewall for learners but if your after somethign more advanced & configurable I recommend Comodo :thumbup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#10 BungleFeet

BungleFeet

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:56 AM

I've used ZA but now use Comodo.
Don't get me wrong, ZA is a good firewall for learners but if your after somethign more advanced & configurable I recommend Comodo :thumbup:

I installed Comodo a couple of weeks back and have been pretty impressed so far. However, I have noticed on a couple of occasions Comodo has blocked the operation of some software without asking me for advice first. The example that springs to mind is when searching for updates to OpenOffice from within the software. In this case, I have no option but to disable Firewall/Defense+ until the operation is complete. Adding the executable to 'My Own Safe Files' does not work in this case.

Teenage.Zombiee, have you experienced this with Comodo? Anybody have any advice?

Cheers,

Bungle

#11 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:36 PM

Look under Defense+ > Advanced > Computer Security Policy & see if the exe is listed as an Installer/Updater. Use Edit on the right to change if necessary.

#12 BungleFeet

BungleFeet

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:31 AM

Look under Defense+ > Advanced > Computer Security Policy & see if the exe is listed as an Installer/Updater. Use Edit on the right to change if necessary.

Thanks for the tip, that has done the trick.

Comodo is a fairly advanced piece of software and it takes a little time to get to know your way around it - but it is the most impressive firewall software I have used on Vista.

Cheers,

Bungle

#13 SloHands

SloHands

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:49 PM

I've used several different firewalls in the past 12 years. I believe that ZA works just fine for the "newbie" and the average computer user. Its one that I would recommend for most users to have onboard.

I have also used Comodo's firewall application and as previously indicated, found it to require more configuration input on my part. Not to say that a newbie shouldn't use it, just that you should take the time to get to know the application and how to work with it so as to get the best from the software.

I like both of them, but then I've spent enough time with each to see how either would best suit my needs.

One thing I discovered early on was that the application being replaced needed to be completely removed PRIOR to the installation of the new firewall. Not doing so invited a system crash and re-installation of the system.
I've stayed with ZA.......... for the most part, but upgraded to the Pro version because of the additional features they offer with that package.

Still, for the average user, I think that the 'free' option is mostly adequate. What needs to be addressed, by each individual, is the extent to which YOU are willing to go to for keeping your system free from attack..... and have no doubts about being attacked. It will happen.

Being careful of where you go and what you do is just as important as applying any sort of "safety barriers", such as a firewall.

There are several other "firewalls" around.
Most of which I didn't much care for for various reasons.
Mostly it had to do with trusting them to best protect my computers. :flowers:

What most users do not understand is that there are NO perfect solutions and thinking that you are "safe" is inviting disaster.

Hope this is of help to you. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users