Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Harddrives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:55 AM

Ok, so to show my ignorance again i gotta ask...

Are there limitations to using an external harddrive? As in can i install programs and games and things and have them work or is it just for music/movies and other random misc stuff?
And can you take an external from one machine to another, think zip disk, and have it read/use the programs/games/files on it?
And is USB2.0 a lot slower than SATA or IDE?

Kinda wondering because of the dlls on the OS HDD (about swapping between comps) and the way the later windows deals with registration when changing out hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

You should be able to store most any information on the hdd that you wish. That is the idea for backing up files.

If you are using the same file systems you should be able to us this on another computer. If this had you operating system on it and you tried to boot from it on another computer then you could get into a serious problem.

USB 2.0 has a bus speed of 480Mbps where the SATA is 3Gbps.

Edited by dc3, 26 April 2008 - 09:36 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

I don't think I would install any programs on a USB external...seems to me it would just create unnecessary tardiness in program responses and possibly confuse XP.

I like to keep programs on C:, close to Windows.

Louis

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

You could install programs on an external hard drive but most would only work on the computer you installed on because most installations will add registry keys to windows. Ideally keep programs on the same drive as windows, saves a crapload of problems.

They are really good for storing large quantities of files like photos and videos. All my home videos and photos are on an external drive in a safe deposit box at the bank (40 bucks a year for peace of mind).

Like DC3 added using USB will be alot slower then SATA if you use a FireWire enabled external hard drive you will get a faster transfer rate then USB.

My 2 cents, if this will be a drive that you will be getting because you just need more space, better off getting a new internal sata drive. If you need a drive to bring a large amount of files from one computer to another then external hard drive (firewire if all computers have the socket for it) is your best bet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users