Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding A Second Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joshe123

joshe123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:30 AM

So i have my first hard drive connected through sata cables to my mother board. And on my ribbon cable from the mother board i just have a dvd rom connected to it. and when i add the new hard drive to the slave spot on the ribbon cable and start up my computer and go to BIOS i can see the new hard drive but when i start windows i am unable to see the hard drive and also i cannot see my dvd drive as well.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

welcome to bleeping

set the hard drive jumper to slave

it's not really a good idea to have a dvd drive and a hard drive share a cable

Edited by DaChew, 26 April 2008 - 12:51 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 joshe123

joshe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:39 AM

welcome to bleeping

set the hard drive jumper to slave

it's not really a good idea to have a dvd drive and a hard drive share a cable

Is there anything else that i can hook my dvd drive up to, beacuse my mother board only has one IDE slot, the rest are SATA. or would it be less hassle to just pick up a SATA harddrive and use that instead?
Oh and thank you for welcoming me :thumbsup:

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

I would use a sata hard drive

and new hard drives need to be initialized and formatted with disk management

Edited by DaChew, 26 April 2008 - 06:58 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

You could always use a controller card (as I do) to utilize any other PATA/IDE hard drives with that motherboard (if you have more).

Louis

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

A controller card (either PATA or SATA...or combined) allows a user to use hard drives or optical drives which cannot be accommodated by the original setup of the motherboard. It fits into one of the PCI slots which are on the motherboard and it functions to give the user additional connection options which cannot be obtained on the motherboard.

For example...I also have a motherboard with 1 IDE slot and 2 SATA slots on the motherboard. I have a ton of PATA/IDE drives which still function correctly...and I want to use them. I also have 4 SATA hard drives that I also may want to use.

Sooo...I purchased a controller card whic provides me with additional IDE (1) and SATA (2) connectors, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816102061

I now have the capability of connecting 8 SATA devices and 4 IDE devices on this system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users