Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Hook Computer & Video Games To Projector

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OldMaid

OldMaid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:25 AM

I want a projector that I can hook my video games and computer up to. I have a Wii so I'm not really concerned with HD picture. I found this review and it looks like a decent projector (Epson Moviemate) and it's not too expensive (why are most so dang expensive?) and has a built in DVD player. Is this a good entry level projector or should I just go for something better since eventually I will want something better and it'll just be a waste of money now if I plan on buying another in the future?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

The resolution is not that great on that projector, if You are using it in a large room and don't intend on being less than 10 feet or so from the screen it should look ok ( although the sheer size of the picture may make up for that). The native resolution is 480P 854 x 480 which is less than a normal computer monitor usually ( 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024 4:3 format). What gaming systems besides the Wii do you intend on play on it? The Wii is capable of producing 480P resolution with the optional High Definition cable. Other consoles may have higher resolutions and may have a problem with that projector.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 OldMaid

OldMaid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:37 AM

I have a PS2 also but that has been sitting idle for months and isn't HD anyway. I just got the Wii Component cable for 480p. I may get a 360 in the near future so I might as well plan for that. Perhaps I should just get get a 1080p projector since I am going to end up getting an HD player and HD Dish Network soon anyway, would something like this be sufficient (there is product info on the right side of the page)? Is there a certain brand that's better than others? InFocus seems to be a popular brand. I also heard that you have to have the lighting in the room perfectly set or else the picture won't look as good as it could. Is this true and if it is, it is difficult to get just the right lighting for optimal picture quality? thanks for your help Sneaky!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:01 PM

That projector sounds great, the only problem I have is that the reviewer said that 480P is a little fuzzy if you intend on playing your Wii on the big screen you may have to sacrifice a little clarity. The Number of Ansi lumens will effect how much darkness you will need a ansi rating of 1300 will require the room to be darker than a projector with a ansi rating of 3000. As for what you would require for your specific room I can't be sure, if there are allot of windows you will want to choose a projector that has a high ansi lumen rating unless you have heavy drapes that you can close.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users